Some questions about the server and modules

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
modrih

Some questions about the server and modules

Post by modrih »

Welcome!

I have some questions about the IRC server.

1. Is it possible (without modifying the source code) that the server has created a given number of channels and that it was not possible to add another (that people do not create further)?

2. Another question posed to the security of your password IRC server. Is a secure server password is secure? What I mean is that I create client IM usign IRC Unreal serverand I want him only by people logged on to the server (only on my client).

3. Is it very complicated was that the modifications to save all messages on the server to a file? (including those private)?

4. This morning I was wondering also if you run several servers can distribute traffic to multiple servers. I mean for example that I have 3 servers and one server can limit connections 200, 200, and the second to the third 200th Can I do so that traffic is distributed between servers? In my opinion, yes, because even it was written in the manual. Just all my relates to the question whether people will be visible between the servers? or can people from server A person will be able to write to people on the server C?

Thanks for any answers.
Sorry for my english. I'm from Poland.
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: Some questions about the server and modules

Post by Stealth »

1) Yes. http://unreal.x-tab.org/faq#channels
2) What? If you want people to provide a password to connect to your server, see the documentation for the allow block: http://www.vulnscan.org/UnrealIrcd/unre ... allowblock
3) We don't support logging of channel messages or private messages. This is illegal in most countries, and highly unethical everywhere else.
4) Use a DNS round-robin record and let the DNS do the distribution for you. Alternatively you can code your own custom DNS which forces users to connect to a particular server based on server load. As long as the servers are all connected together people will be able to send messages between servers (otherwise, what would be the point?).