spy module loaded, not loaded?

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
android

spy module loaded, not loaded?

Post by android »

I help maintain a network with two other netadmins and have done so for over two years now. I feel we have developed a very good relationship over this period but recently I have found that the servers connected to the network was or is running the spy module. On /version I get this Unreal3.2.8.1. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx :FinXeOoZEmM3 [*=2309]. mM means this module is running but when I look at the loaded modules in the config file I do not see any spy module listed there. Am I reading the /version output incorrectly or can the module be loaded under a different name to cover it up? Also when typing /spystats I don’t get anything expect “bad command”. Please advice on how best I should go about removing this module, as I do not want to be associated with this sort of setup or network.
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: spy module loaded, not loaded?

Post by Stealth »

Just because it has mM in the version listing DOES NOT mean there's any form of spy module loaded.

m = A module has been loaded that has hooked private messages.
M = A module has been loaded that has hooked channel messages.

Because the messages have been "hooked" doesn't mean the messages are being read. For example, the following legitimate modules HOOK private messages, but don't READ or LOG private messages: m_privdeaf, m_securequery, callerid, and any other module that provides modes that affect private messages. Modules that HOOK channel messages, but don't READ or LOG channel messages: m_nocodes, m_regexept, TextBan, regexban, and any other module that adds channel modes that affect channel messages.

To sum it up, m or M simply means the module has added functionality where it needs to catch and evaluate a PRIVMSG to an individual or channel and evaluate if that command should go through or not based on the conditions that module adds.
android

Re: spy module loaded, not loaded?

Post by android »

Thanks for the explanation