MOVE/MKILL modules??

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
chevyman2002

MOVE/MKILL modules??

Post by chevyman2002 »

I'm curious as to whether or not anyone would find these modules useful. At one time I wanted to create modules in Unreal to do this, but found it was far easier to do so in my services package. If you guys think these would be good modules to implement, I will make an attempt to create them. The following example syntax and usage would be outlined.

Code: Select all

-OperServ- Syntax: MOVE <nickname|#channel1> <#channel2> <reason>
-OperServ- Syntax: MKILL <nickname|#channel> <reason>
Obviously, those are from my services package, however, the syntax would be the same (/move and /mkill). Anyway, leave feedback if so. Otherwise, if there are a lot of views then I'll assume people are interested enough to start on them tonight. Privileges would be assumed to Services Admin for the MOVE command, and Net Admin for the MKILL command (bit more extreme)...
Your face looks like it was set on fire and put out with an axe ;x.
Jobe
Official supporter

Re: MOVE/MKILL modules??

Post by Jobe »

What exactly are the commands supposed to do?
Your IP: Image
Your Country: Image
chevyman2002

Post by chevyman2002 »

Jobe1986 wrote:What exactly are the commands supposed to do?
On the /move command, you could "/move Jobe1986 #newchan for whatever reason here" which makes them part all channels and join #newchan. The other use of it would be "/move #oldchan #newchan for whatever reason here" which makes all users of '#oldchan' part that channel and join '#newchan'. Of course each user is notified as to what the reason was (can only think of channels for like ustream where users tend to only know /nick and that's about it; and the channel moves or something?).

On the /mkill command, you could "/mkill Jobe1986 whatever reason here" and it will grab the realhost of the user and kill the specified user and all clones (could also be used to kill asdf@randomIPshere when a gline/other isn't used). The other use would be "/mkill #channel some reason here" and it kills every user in that specific channel. I have used that in a scenario when someone loaded a bunch of bots into a channel, which made it very easy to lock the network to block new connections and then kill all the ones on the network at the time. I also have a MAKILL command in RootServ that AKILLs every user in the specified channel (same scenario as before with the bots and random IPs/Idents). So I have only really ever used these commands in testing so they aren't practical for me, but, the /move command is one that I could see being used occasionally (not very often). Just thought I'd share if anyone else found it useful.

At this point, I have the m_move module about 95% complete. Working on the bit where it moves an entire channel since "chptr = find_channel(parv[1], (aChannel *)NULL);" likes to crash the IRCd for some reason. Not going to start on the other module at all unless requested since I don't see programming it being even remotely fun whatsoever. Questioning why I started the m_move module already since I have no intention of using it (services work perfectly for me)...
Your face looks like it was set on fire and put out with an axe ;x.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

Well, questioning why you started a module when services works fine is a clue. Second move is extremely hitlerish. Its better to teach you users than do it for them so if all they know is /nick, then its time to learn /part and /join too.

Mkill sounds remotely useful if your services package doesn't support chankill. Anope does so that takes care of a huge percentage of unreal nets.

I remember back in the day, we didn't have all these toys and we did just fine with client scripts. When I opered on DALNet, I used to kill 10,000 clones a week with little effort thanks to clever mIRC scripting. Now it seems opera are too lazy and expect the ircd to do everything for them.

For example, /names is all you need to write a client script version of mkill/chankill and keeps the resource usage off the ircd. Original right?

/rant