Stop all notices and privmsgs in chans

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Zangune

Stop all notices and privmsgs in chans

Post by Zangune »

I hope this is the correct place to ask for my problem, I need a way to do this:

If a user without voice or above is in one or more specified channel(s) he/she will not receive any notice and private message form people without voice or above in that specified channels

Users still receive channel notices, private messages and notices from voiced people, services, IRCops etc.
If a user is at least in one channel where this protection isn't specified he/she receive all messages as normal

In other words total noob protection

These are not solutions

mode #ChannelName +T
spamfilter
spy people privates and notices
/ignore and /silence
/mode Nick +R
/mode Nick +T
/mode Nick +d
Zangune

Re: Stop all notices and privmsgs in chans

Post by Zangune »

No posts editing? OMyGod! I have to repost, sorry

I hope this is the correct place to ask for my problem, I need a way to do this:

If a user without voice or above is ---> ONLY <--- in one or more specified channel(s) he/she will not receive any notice and private message form people without voice or above in that specified channels

Users still receive channel notices, private messages and notices from voiced people, services, IRCops etc.
If a user is at least in one channel where this protection isn't specified he/she receive all messages as normal

In other words total noob protection

These are not solutions

mode #ChannelName +T
spamfilter
spy people privates and notices
/ignore and /silence
/mode Nick +R
/mode Nick +T
/mode Nick +d[/quote]
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

1> post editing works fine for me. Perhaps you didn't see the button?
2> Please explain a little more about this. currently it seems you want to prevent users from private messaging each other. Which really isn't within the realm of a channel mode nor it is really the business or authority of chanops to deny/allow. Users will chat with each other regardless of if they are in your channel or someone elses network. If you are wanting to stop unwanted PM's then look at the caller ID module on the website and set the mode on connect and allow the users to choose who and when they can PM. If this is for a company's private IRC servers and you don't want employees chatting during meetings in a channel, then you should be prepared to pay some good money for such a module.
3> I'm moving this to modules as I seriously doubt this will be in the core any time soon.
Zangune

Post by Zangune »

katsklaw wrote:1> post editing works fine for me. Perhaps you didn't see the button?
look at this :(
CanNotEdit.PNG
katsklaw wrote:2> Please explain a little more about this. currently it seems you want to prevent users from private messaging each other.
Exactly!

I'll try to explain better

In my network there are two kind of channels: A channels and B channels.
Users, by default, join one or more A channels, if a user is only in A channels he/she wouldn't receive, by default, notices and private messages from other users.
katsklaw wrote:If you are wanting to stop unwanted PM's then look at the caller ID module on the website and set the mode on connect and allow the users to choose who and when they can PM.
Good! If you can understand me, I need something similar to Caller ID and Privmsg Disable I haven't seen this page before, so thank you :)

Can I request this kind of module here?

EDIT: I can edit this message, but not the first two :?:
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

ok it seems brand new users can't edit posts or so I assume.

You'll likely need to explain the difference between A channels and B channels. This is because in Unreal IRCd there is only 1 kind of channel, Global #Channels and there isn't a difference between #AChannel and #BChannel in the eyes of the IRCd.

Yes, you can request that module here. I moved your thread to the correct forum ;)

Good Luck!
Zangune

Post by Zangune »

It seems like I can't edit posts written in another session. Bha! :D

The difference between the two is that chennels in which users shoudn't receive notices or private messages are official channels, they can be created and dropped by IRCops only, but usually chanops aren't IRCops. Usually there isn't an owner (q) but only administrators (a).
More generally IRCops choose if a channel can be an A channel or a B channel.
Something like this:
NetAdmin sets mode +P #ProtectedChan-1,#ProctedChan-1,#Help,#Trusted

Noob is in #Trusted
EvilOne /notice Noob f%/k off!
(nothing happens, Noob doesn't see a word!)

Noob is in #Trusted and #Help
EvilOne /privmsg Noob s9890/d!
(nothing happens, again)

Noob is in #Trusted and #UnTrusted
EvilOne /msg Noob s/(= my
Noob reads and gets angry

Really thank you! :)
Last edited by Zangune on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

Actually official channels are set in unrealircd.conf.

So your request is for the denial of PM's when users are only in Official Channels unless the 2 users are in common channels .. No?
Zangune

Post by Zangune »

...unless one user is at least voice in one Official channel or is an IRCop or each one is at least in one unofficial channel.
I edited my previous post the same time you wrote yours, read the example please, I hope it helps you to understand :)
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

I understand perfectly. I still think forcing callerID is a better solution. This way noob sees nothing evilone says in private regardless of channel or status unless evilone has been explicitly added to noob's allow list.

CallerID exempts ircops unless configured otherwise and works on a deny all, allow basis. You can also force it so everyone uses callerID and restrict it from being removed by non-ircop users so all users are completely protected.
Zangune

Post by Zangune »

Unfortunately this solution doesn't suits my needs :(
This solution is overprotective and harmful for the network survival, if we set things this way my network will be not a nice place to stay.
I hope someone can help, by the way I'm happy something similar exists yet :) shouldn't be hard to improve the way I ask (I hope)