Helpop Module

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

codemastr wrote:
Where is the harm in letting password protected access to /helpops?
No harm, just needless bloat. I have NO intention of doing this. Why does someone who provides help need to be a helpop? They don't. How many users actually use /helpops or even know the command exists as a method to send a message to +h users? If they knew this, then they'd probably be smart enough to solve a general issue on their own!
Did you also notice my post about "custom opers"? If you ask me, this also allows admins a bit of control over what opers get what flags. Example: suppose I had a bot on my server that had the sole responsibility over K:Lines (probably akin to OperServ's AKILL). Now any operator with the local flag can K:Line but that might not be what I want - I want only that bot to actually add or remove K:Lines. So instead of local, I can give them helpop, can_rehash, can_globops, can_wallops, can_localroute, can_localkill, can_localnotice - they have all the privs of local opers except (un)kline. This would become impossible if helpop required local/global/etc.

*edit* Granted this probably falls under the trust thing, but... */edit*
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

codemastr wrote:
Where is the harm in letting password protected access to /helpops?
No harm, just needless bloat. I have NO intention of doing this. Why does someone who provides help need to be a helpop? They don't. How many users actually use /helpops or even know the command exists as a method to send a message to +h users? If they knew this, then they'd probably be smart enough to solve a general issue on their own!
Then remove it all together since your so worried about bloat.

Since the Unreal installer is 3-5 times larger than other IRCd's .. I'm sure there is alot more bloat to be removed too.