[Request:] Channel mode +y

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Giorgos

[Request:] Channel mode +y

Post by Giorgos »

Hello Again,

One more module from my experience with inspircd that i would like to see in unreal is the mode +y. This is set to all ircops from global+ level and it is activated on operup. Then when an ircop joins a channel he gets the mode +y in the channel and the symbol ! in the nicklist which allows him to act like an +qo without having any access. But on unrealircd i would like to see this given with +N usermode making it available only to network administrators.

I appreciate the time taken to read this

thank you
katsklaw

Re: [Request:] Channel mode +y

Post by katsklaw »

You don't need all that. This is handled via the can_override oper flag. Setting modes and symbols is pointless and just wastes memory space and resources.

thanks
Giorgos

Post by Giorgos »

well you dont think it is worth creating if i requested? i would like to avoid operoverride and superadmin of anope usage this is why i requested
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

Your request is the same as override except with override you can have more control over who uses it. This not counting the fact that opers aren't really supposed to be jacking with channels they don't own anyway. The latter is why override exists in the first place.

The terms IRC Operator and Channel Operator are very literal. It is the job of the IRCOp to operate the IRC server/network and the job of the ChanOp to operate his/her own channel. No where in any official or even semi-official document by any respected person does it say IRCops should have full and free reign over channels. In fact, only a fool would assume IRCops "out rank" users. That's just a common myth. If you have unruly and/or malicious users, akill/gline them, otherwise leave your users alone! In the end you will have no users at all if you command and conquer.

Further, just because ircd-xyz does it, doesn't make it a good idea.

From a development standpoint, it's not worth the trouble. From a human aspect, its disrespectful to channel owners and rather nazi'ish.

In closing, I of course cannot stop anyone from writing this module for you, but as a bit of advice, you might want to prepare yourself to part with some of your hard earned cash for it to be written if for no other reason than to pay someone to bypass their morals.