Looking for a MoDuLe

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

GouroB

Looking for a MoDuLe

Post by GouroB »

Hello all ,

i am new here ... ummm unreal is the only IRCD i used ... coz i love to spend time with it .. and now i am kinda confused bout something ... i had some trouble for auto Global / Local notices which comes from server .
( exmpl : on oper up , on Net-split ) so one of those Global notices is being dangerour for me ... i want to disable that ... that is on net-split a global msg comes from the server ( irc.dot.com has quit hub.dot.com [ 100.200.300.400] ) to opers ... so opers gets all other server's ip's also ... including those wher they are not allowed ( ircop's ) so is there any module that could stop that message or change that Global msg to /adchat msg so that only admin's could get it ..... ? :idea:

Waiting eagerly with great expectation ......

GouroB
-=GouroB=-
https://www.shunno.info
Your complete web Solution
Irc.BanglaCafe.com
LargesT Chat server in BanglaDesH
Dukat

Post by Dukat »

That can't be done in a module, I think.

Anyway: If you don't trust your Opers, something's terribly wrong on your network. If you don't trust them, don't give them privileges! :!:
katsklaw

Re: Looking for a MoDuLe

Post by katsklaw »

GouroB wrote:Hello all ,

i am new here ... ummm unreal is the only IRCD i used ... coz i love to spend time with it .. and now i am kinda confused bout something ... i had some trouble for auto Global / Local notices which comes from server .
( exmpl : on oper up , on Net-split ) so one of those Global notices is being dangerour for me ... i want to disable that ... that is on net-split a global msg comes from the server ( irc.dot.com has quit hub.dot.com [ 100.200.300.400] ) to opers ... so opers gets all other server's ip's also ... including those wher they are not allowed ( ircop's ) so is there any module that could stop that message or change that Global msg to /adchat msg so that only admin's could get it ..... ? :idea:

Waiting eagerly with great expectation ......

GouroB
If you read and understand RFC1459 you will understand that server/network maintenance in the PRIMARY duty of an IRCop .. meaning that is why they are there. For an IRCop to do his/her job they *must* know names/IP's of servers so that they may perform their routing duties correctly.

If you deny that, then you should just delete all the oper blocks because they can do little else and you don't need them.
GouroB

Point of view is differenT

Post by GouroB »

Its not the thing ur thinking ... i do trust them but as some of them are newly added as ircop so they need to know lots things b4 they perform professionally ... and i was talking bout hackers ,... any hacker can get access on some one's pc with a lil Trojan .. thats y i wanted that notice to be disabled or changed for admin's only ... so that we can figure out who might responsiable if any ip got flashed ... I thought it could be possible .. ok if its not ... but thanks both of you for reply . :)
-=GouroB=-
Irc.BanglaCafe.com
katsklaw

Re: Point of view is differenT

Post by katsklaw »

GouroB wrote:Its not the thing ur thinking ... i do trust them but as some of them are newly added as ircop so they need to know lots things b4 they perform professionally ... and i was talking bout hackers ,... any hacker can get access on some one's pc with a lil Trojan .. thats y i wanted that notice to be disabled or changed for admin's only ... so that we can figure out who might responsiable if any ip got flashed ... I thought it could be possible .. ok if its not ... but thanks both of you for reply . :)
Admins can be hacked as easily as any oper or user can. As with all things on the internet .. nothing is hack proof .. even hiding IP's from opers.

The only solution to be 100% free of hackers it to never connect your PC to any type of network ... local or remote. There is a term called "acceptable risk". If the highly unlikely event that one oper on your net gets hacked and the scenario you are trying to validate ever happens. Then some of the more major and more liklely events that happen on IRC will scare the pants off of you.

As for your opers, you should read the supplied docs in doc/unreal32docs.html specificlly the oper block. It will explain that you can assign or deny the ability to do local/remote connects.
Plasma

Post by Plasma »

Its really not that troublesome that your server IPs are being shown to opers...

Just remember all users will know the IPs of your servers anyway, they connect to them!
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

The only solution to be 100% free of hackers it to never connect your PC to any type of network ... local or remote.
Uhh, no?

Hack 1.)
Tempest attack. The electromagnetic emissions from the monitor are captured and reassembled at a remote location to show what is on your screen. EM radiation goes through walls, so someone outside can capture this info.

Hack 2.)
Keylogging devices. Someone who has gained physical access to your system can attach a device to your keyboard (or even replace your keyboard with a modified one) that will log all the keystrokes you make.

Hack 3.)
A parabolic microphone can be used to record sound coming from your PC's speakers. This can give a hacker certain insight into what you are doing.

Hack 4.)
An obvious one, but someone could simply come to your house and break into your machine by using one of several password cracking methods. Though this is likely unnecessary since most people who have non-networked machines believe passwords are unnecessary.

Is it likely that someone will do these things? No. But it certainly means you are not "100% hacker free." The rule of thumb in the security field is, every PC is vulnerable. There are even certain attacks that can be used against a PC that is turned off!
-- codemastr
WilliamWIkked

Post by WilliamWIkked »

codemastr wrote:There are even certain attacks that can be used against a PC that is turned off!
Yea it's called a Sledgehammer! :)
[insert another cliche sig here.]
GouroB

umm Gosh .... !!

Post by GouroB »

thx guys for rply and codemaster ... seems like there is no way to protect a pc from hacking ... but the thing is i was waiting for something else ... lollz is there any chance that any one of u might make any module that will be able to control server global/local notices ?

umm one more thing its the first forum where i love to spend time and read rather than writing much coz i am new so i makes mistakes often . wish u all good luck and happy Eid ... is any one of u muslim .
-=GouroB=-
Irc.BanglaCafe.com