Other IRCds (Was: ircds including unreal)

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

bash109

Other IRCds (Was: ircds including unreal)

Post by bash109 »

i was searching around for a module my friend said i think it was called MonServ. he said it is something that automatically checks your bank account.. anyway that is not the topic the topic is also when i was searching i came accross quiet a few ircds and thought ok ill give one a try so i downloaded it and the server takes 10000 connections has chanserv nickserv botserv memoserv operserv statserv and a shitserv lol...

i do not mean any offence to the unreal ppl but that server is way better than this does anyone else think there are better servers than unrealircd out there???
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

For some reason I suddenly make 2 assumptions:
- You are a windows user
- You are talking about a non-free product (costs $$, free trial version, warez, etc)

Anyway, there is no "best IRCd".. If you want tons of features, modes, etc.. and don't want to pay $$$ Unreal is probably your best choice, along with a nice services package like anope or ircservices of course (and in fact, a lot of small- and medium- nets run unreal, >60% seems a safe bet)

If you however require much fewer features and care mostly about scalability, speed, and things like that, Hybrid is a good choice.

If you are willing to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars and want some easy GUI, integrated services, commercial support, etc, then there's conferenceroom and others.

And there are a lot of other (free) IRCds out there.. You are of course free to try all of them and then decide which one you like most :P.
bash109

Post by bash109 »

yes i am a windows user and secondly i paid NOTHING(no trial version it is totally free and they reckon if you register it[for free] they give you free modules that r supposed to be paid for) for this server i found.. as i said it takes 10 000 users compared to the 4000 or so users unreal takes but hey dont get me wrong unreal is cool and im gonna stick with it im just sayin there are servers wich take much more for nothing more
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

Having integrated services is a bad thing. The first time you get DoSed and none of your users can access their registered nicknames or get access to their registered channels, you'll realize why.
-- codemastr
pepolez

Post by pepolez »

Well, I'd have to say the advantages of UnrealIRCD over other IRCDs (in my opinion) would have to be that it is VERY easy to set up, configuration files are very well commented, its packed full of features, and the documentation is nice and easy to understand.

And thats my two cents :)
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
The_deViL

Post by The_deViL »

Out of curiosity, why is having the ability to have 10k users that good? You loose one connection, ddosed, exploit, power-failure (reasons for a server to go town temp are many) and your entire network or large part of it is brought to it's knees..

And oh, wich IRCd are you refering to?
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"