Could someone give me a paypall verification please?

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

Shelluser

Could someone give me a paypall verification please?

Post by Shelluser »

Hi there,

Our (small) IRC network chipped some stuff together and tried a paypall donation to [email protected] (as mentioned in the Donation text file in the Unreal tarball) but it was refused with a request to use .org instead.

Now, this can (and is likely) legitimate but when it comes to security and such I'm paranoid, I guess thats also why I was entrusted to handle this ;-) In this case I was puzzled because it shouldn't be too difficult to alias one email adress to the other on Paypal and that makes me very cautious.

So could a senior citizen of this forum please confirm that Unreal's paypal account is now "[email protected]" ?

Thanks in advance.
With kind regards, Peter

NekoNet IRC
www.neko-net.org / [url=irc://irc.neko-net.org:6667]irc.neko-net.org[/url]
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

I guess you are using some old UnrealIRCd then? Oh wait, the link is fixed in CVS, just wasn't in 3.2.2 :P (cvs diff)

Anyway, [email protected] is the new address, as you can see on www.unrealircd.com (which has been updated months ago).
Shelluser

Post by Shelluser »

Syzop wrote:I guess you are using some old UnrealIRCd then? Oh wait, the link is already fixed in CVS, just wasn't in 3.2.2 :P
Bingo! ;-)
Anyway, [email protected] is the new address, as you can see on www.unrealircd.com (which has been updated months ago).
Actually... You guys do have a button to make donations but I prefer to have the actual adress and use it manually. I know; its the paranoia mode again but it wouldn't be the first time where a webserver got compromised and links got remade.

Allthough the paypal link says "UnrealIRCD" I'm one of those guys who don't fully trust this. And I didn't find any other reference which contained an actual account name. Then again: It is very likely that I missed something, its now 2:30am over here and after a nice Jagermeister things aren't going as smooth as normal ;)

Thanks for your response at this hour.
With kind regards, Peter

NekoNet IRC
www.neko-net.org / [url=irc://irc.neko-net.org:6667]irc.neko-net.org[/url]
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

I don't know if you are familiar with paypal, but.. you cannot just go register an address on someone elses email address. So the @unrealircd.org / @unrealircd.com part pretty much gives you all the "credit" that is possible ;).

On a sidenote, it's very unlikely that:
- the webserver [box 1]
- [email protected] [box 2]
- [email protected] [box 3]
- my pgp key for [email protected], which can be verified on my page and on my messages to unreal-notify / unreal-users over the past year [box 4, non-server]
all got hacked, so yes... I find your paranoia a bit immoderate :P.

Anyway, thanks for your donation, and now let's just forget about this :p.
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

I don't know if you are familiar with paypal, but.. you cannot just go register an address on someone elses email address. So the @unrealircd.org / @unrealircd.com part pretty much gives you all the "credit" that is possible ;).
I'd just like to make one comment on that. Yes, what you said is correct, however, be sure that we do in fact own the domain! We own unrealircd.com, unrealircd.net, unrealircd.org. I know there are some other domains that redirect to our website, but those are the only "official" domains that we own. So yeah, if it is .com/.net/.org, you know it is us, but don't assume just because it is unrealircd.SOMETHING it must be valid!
-- codemastr