msvcr70.dll ?

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

snooop

Post by snooop »

when i tried to downlaod unrealircd3.2.3 it says that msvcr could bot been downloaded or something liek that so i could not download it, does anyone know what is up, or were i can get 3.2.2 from ?
Solutech

Post by Solutech »

http://www.unrealircd.com/?page=downloads

try there . Downloads ok on the uk mirror .
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

It probably wants the MSVCR DLL... I think this the the correct one, download it and place it in the Unreal folder after installing Unreal.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-f ... ml?msvcr70

Unreal 3.2.2 is no longer available.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Additionally, this problem has been fixed as well (auto downloading of that .dll), all files are now moved to the new hoster :).
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Incidentally, one of my friends asked me why the installer wants you to download msvcr70.dll and why it's not included in the installer. I'm not sure on this one, but I suspect it's some sort of licensing issue?
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Exactly :)
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

Ron2K wrote:Incidentally, one of my friends asked me why the installer wants you to download msvcr70.dll and why it's not included in the installer. I'm not sure on this one, but I suspect it's some sort of licensing issue?
The GPL prevents us from including proprietary dlls with the Unreal distribution. However, by having the installer download them, they are not included, therefore it doesn't violate it. Basically, it's a stupid GPL clause that we are forced to workaround.
-- codemastr
McTerry

Post by McTerry »

But what happends if the DLL changes location on the web?
How will it be downloaded in that case? With patches?
BOOM!
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

It's downloaded from the unrealircd main site.
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

codemastr wrote:
Ron2K wrote:Incidentally, one of my friends asked me why the installer wants you to download msvcr70.dll and why it's not included in the installer. I'm not sure on this one, but I suspect it's some sort of licensing issue?
The GPL prevents us from including proprietary dlls with the Unreal distribution. However, by having the installer download them, they are not included, therefore it doesn't violate it. Basically, it's a stupid GPL clause that we are forced to workaround.
Doesn't msvcr70.dll fall into the exception for libraries normally included with the "major components of the operating system" (MS C compiler, etc)?
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

aquanight wrote:Doesn't msvcr70.dll fall into the exception for libraries normally included with the "major components of the operating system" (MS C compiler, etc)?
Indeed, however you're misinterpreting what this exception is. The exception is what allows us to use the dll at all. If it weren't for this exception, linking to the dll alone would be a violation.
However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not include anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies the executable.
(bold added)

That last part there says that if the dll is distributed with the executable, then we need to provide the source for the dll. However, if the dll is distributed separately, then we do not.
-- codemastr
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

Ah, ok then...