Becoming an OP

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

davidhayter

Becoming an OP

Post by davidhayter »

From the efnet FAQ, I found:

Q: What can opers NOT do, but keep being asked to anyways?

A: We can NOT:
3. Op ourselves or op you on a channel (unless of course we are a channel op for that channel)

But if, in the config file for unrealircd, I gave a user, op privileges (global), doesnt that mean that user can get OP in any channel on the server, or the only way to do that is either being the administrator or being the one to get to the channel first???

thx
TigerDragon

Post by TigerDragon »

EFnet doesn't run UnrealIRCd.

They run Hybrid with an EFNet configuration (at least that's what I believe they run from reading the hybrid configs when setting it up before.)

Hybrid doesn't support IRCops being able to force themselves to have ChanOps.

The IRC RFC's also don't support this behavior.
davidhayter

Post by davidhayter »

Oh k thx, but I wasnt like referring to efent but more like in general to all irc servers, but if you say that behaviour is not recommended in the RFC, and unrealircd is compliant to this, it means I cannot do this??

thx
TigerDragon

Post by TigerDragon »

Normal IRC behavior is this:

IRCops have control over things related to the IRC server and net. They do not have the right to go into an existing channel they aren't a channel op in and change modes on that channel.

Channel ops have control over the channel they own. They do not have the right to disconnect other IRC servers from the server net, or restart the current server.

Unreal behaves against the RFC's by allowing IRCops to behave as Chanops in a channel they aren't a Chanop in.

If you run Unreal, you have it configured to allow IRCops to do mode commands on channels they don't own, and you are an IRCop, then you will be able to do this.

Unreal is NOT RFC compliant. If it were, all nicknames would be 9 characters max, IRCops wouldn't have godlike powers over the things that go on on a server, and so on.
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

If you want to call Unreal non-RFC compliant because of allowing nicks longer than 9 characters, you might as well go to the forums of 99% of all other IRCd's and call their IRCd's non-RFC compliant.

Here is a list of a few places to whine:
Hybrid
ConferenceRoom
Bahamut
Ultimate
(I don't know if any of those don't support it by default, but you get the point)

Unreal allows opers to take control of channels as a feature, and opers who wish to do so should really +o themselves on the channel first. This can be done by using SAMODE, or MODE (if the correct permissions apply).

EDIT:
A lot of IRCd's have a SAMODE or similar also... Go whine about that too when you whine about the nick legnth.
TigerDragon

Post by TigerDragon »

I didn't say it was a bad thing. I was just pointing out that it's NOT. The others aren't either. I only know of one that's RFC compliant at the moment, but it doesn't implement everything. (SUMMON comes to mind, and that's also a good thing.) I was simply trying to help answer the original question.
davidhayter

Post by davidhayter »

ok thx a lot for clarifying that
w00t

Post by w00t »

SUMMON isn't needed for RFC compliancy, you can send RPL_SUMMONDISABLED (name?)

Also, you will NEVER find any ircd that fully implements the RFC scemantics to the letter- I know this because I have myself tried to do so. The RFC actually contradicts itself in a few places (ISON is one notable one).

As for "behaving as an op," that can only happen if you have compiled with operoverride, or given said oper can_override.
-ChatSpike IRC Network [http://www.chatspike.net]
-Denora Stats [http://denora.nomadirc.net]
-Omerta [http://www.barafranca.com]
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

w00t wrote:SUMMON isn't needed for RFC compliancy, you can send RPL_SUMMONDISABLED (name?)
And Unreal is one of the few IRCds that actually does this. Both Hybrid and Bahamut return an unknown command error. Unreal will return the required RFC1459 message.
-- codemastr