does anyone run a windows XP IRC server? how's it like?

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

DarkBlood

does anyone run a windows XP IRC server? how's it like?

Post by DarkBlood »

Alright, this is basiclly a windows OS unrealircd server discussion thread I decided to make.

Who in here runs a windows XP IRC Server?

Whoever does... Do you ever have disconnection problems? or any other problems? is it stable? what are your opinions of it? are you doing great with it?

I currently run my server on a windows OS and am very interested to find who else around here runs a windows OS server.

just so that I'm not alone :P
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

I have run Unreal on Win95 Win98 WinME Win2k and Win XP

95, 98 and ME were the only ones that had problems when people got to about ~30 connections, then everyone got disconnected. This happens because Windows has a low socket limit. I am sure it applies to Windows XP as well. There is almost nothing you can do about this problem, as it is hard-coded into windows. If you edited the registry following codemastr's instructions, then there is nothing else you can do. These limits are usually based on hardware.

If you are really having trouble with this, you should really work on upgrading to a *nix server. Since this is run on WinXP, I assume you are running it from home on a broadband connection. You can easily set up a Linux server from an old PC (depending on what Linux distro you want, depends on the hardware requirements). This is easy to do, and won't take much time if you look for an easy to install distro and a good walkthrough/tutorial for it. Easy to install distros are RedHat, SuSE, and Mandrake. There are others, and "the best" depends on who you ask.
DarkBlood

Post by DarkBlood »

Stealth wrote:I have run Unreal on Win95 Win98 WinME Win2k and Win XP

95, 98 and ME were the only ones that had problems when people got to about ~30 connections, then everyone got disconnected. This happens because Windows has a low socket limit. I am sure it applies to Windows XP as well. There is almost nothing you can do about this problem, as it is hard-coded into windows. If you edited the registry following codemastr's instructions, then there is nothing else you can do. These limits are usually based on hardware.

If you are really having trouble with this, you should really work on upgrading to a *nix server. Since this is run on WinXP, I assume you are running it from home on a broadband connection. You can easily set up a Linux server from an old PC (depending on what Linux distro you want, depends on the hardware requirements). This is easy to do, and won't take much time if you look for an easy to install distro and a good walkthrough/tutorial for it. Easy to install distros are RedHat, SuSE, and Mandrake. There are others, and "the best" depends on who you ask.
Hmm.. When the unrealircd came out, it stated that windows can hold about 5000 connections or so...

Anyone else getting those kinds of problems?
w00t

Post by w00t »

(I've never actually seen that stated anywhere, so perhaps I missed something?)

That aside, it can hold connections - it's just not ideal. I've held around 400 while flood testing various modules/third party software, both on windows and linux, and it really isn't too fun.
-ChatSpike IRC Network [http://www.chatspike.net]
-Denora Stats [http://denora.nomadirc.net]
-Omerta [http://www.barafranca.com]
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

The windows Unreal is compiled to support 4096 connections, but that doesn't mean it can. Every Windows computer holds a diggerent amount of connections, like how the MAXCONNECTIONS in ./Config on *nix varies from computer to computer. The Windows Unreal is compiled with MAXCONNECTIONS at 4096, and when Windows runs out of connections, it drops all the connections it has.
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

Stealth wrote:when Windows runs out of connections, it drops all the connections it has.
How very like Windows... you'd think it just be nice enough to return some error but.....................
Moogey

Re: does anyone run a windows XP IRC server? how's it like?

Post by Moogey »

DarkBlood wrote:Alright, this is basiclly a windows OS unrealircd server discussion thread I decided to make.

Who in here runs a windows XP IRC Server?

Whoever does... Do you ever have disconnection problems? or any other problems? is it stable? what are your opinions of it? are you doing great with it?

I currently run my server on a windows OS and am very interested to find who else around here runs a windows OS server.

just so that I'm not alone :P
Just answering from the top cause I didn't read the whole topic :D

I do run a temporary and internal-only IRC server on Win XP now. It's only for me and a friend. I am going get a shell soon. The main point of this was to familiarize myself with this software so it doesn't bite me in the rear when the real server starts :)
w00t

Post by w00t »

Perfectly good reason for it. :)
-ChatSpike IRC Network [http://www.chatspike.net]
-Denora Stats [http://denora.nomadirc.net]
-Omerta [http://www.barafranca.com]
DarkBlood

Post by DarkBlood »

yay!

I just started running my server on linux! It's been better ever since. :D
sChutt

Post by sChutt »

Agreed on the reasons above, un*x is the way to go for irc hosting. However, that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Personally I earn me money actin as Wintel sysadmin, hence I lack the need to dive into linux or even have a spare test machine at home build over from 2003 Server. So yes, i do run a 100-150 (active) user ircd on it. Added Anope's latest for windows, even Denora aside. Runs stable for a nice 16 weeks now ty, an that's only due a powercut our block had. Obviously, this is not a gaming rig, but a IBM PC Server 330, low specs but more then nuff for my purposes.

- §
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

[Completely different (off-topic) questions/replies split to here]
nate

Post by nate »

Never really noticed this thread before, I think i'll toss my comments in here now since i've been running an UnrealIRCd powered network for about a year now on all WindowsXP platforms.

for the most part we've hit a max of about 100 users I think before, around 90 maybe more accurately, virtually no lag. I'm more or less a die hard windows person, and know most of the tweaks to it, so I've done a lot networking wise, all in all i've been happy with the performance of it all, only downside at times is keeping clocks in sync sometimes, haha, but it rarely gets bad enough to induce any noticible lag.

I've figured my server could easily handle the max users, the other one maybe about a half of that, maybe a tad less, depends.