mozilla firefox vs iexplore poll

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

Wich is fast/more secure/stable and better for use ?

Mozilla Firefox
83%
Windows Internet Explorer
17%

Total votes: 30

[UnDeRTaKeR]

Post by [UnDeRTaKeR] »

its really hard to imagine a world without piracy, and I have nothing to add
to Syzop words...
firefox is young, of course it will improve a lot...
I will use software as needed,
but not because the company has a lot of money...
and as long as its microsoft, I will not pay a cent..I think they have enough
already, and I dont have anything.. :P
what moves opensource is the will to do, and the will to make things better,
money cant compare to that...
there is more will to do better things in firefox than IE therefore thats the
way it will be..
JIVXor

Post by JIVXor »

Syzop :

Try opening a SharePoint Portal Server page(70% of Microsoft's pages are moving into SharePoint technology) with FF, and you'll know the meaning/importance of ActiveX on IE.

As I said , it's just a matter of taste. Hopefully FF and OpenSource will becomes a great powerfull. I like the OpenSource philosophy, but what it offers me money is the Microsoft monster :S But I know whatever I say, nobody will change your opinions, and I believe that I will begin to use FF.

PD : I put my ears on fire(quite huge that I have them) that anyone of you has at least in one of your desktops a Microsoft OS :D

DAMN I'M OFF(I come it saying since I began :P)
Last edited by JIVXor on Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
JIVXor

Post by JIVXor »

I've just done downloading FF and 20 extensions :) I've hopes.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I currently take care of 5 computers in my house.

1 of my mother, 1 of my sister. Indeed, they have Windows running.
Then I have another pc on which I -used- to develop cheats for a MMORPG. Yes, with Windows on it. Though I hardly ever use it.
I also need a pc with Windows on it for school, coz of some stupid program for chemistry. Won't run under Wine -.-

@JIVXor;
I never used Firefox, using Opera ;)
fgeek

Post by fgeek »

I think Firefox is better than IE, but still I prefer Opera.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

JIVXor wrote:Syzop :

Try opening a SharePoint Portal Server page(70% of Microsoft's pages are moving into SharePoint technology) with FF, and you'll know the meaning/importance of ActiveX on IE.
Oh yes, that is surprising indeed.. Microsoft making their pages incompatible with non-microsoft browsers... what a surprise!
Yes, you really brought up a valid point now.. *cough* :P
(forgive my sarcasm ;p)
As I said , it's just a matter of taste.
Security vs functionality, yes, I agree...
I put my ears on fire(quite huge that I have them) that anyone of you has at least in one of your desktops a Microsoft OS :D
I doubt the reason for many is that they consider windows better than Linux/FreeBSD/etc.
In many - I would guess like >90% of the cases - one of the main reasons they don't switch is simply that application X/Y/Z only runs at windows, and is unavailble under Linux... This is really an annoying problem.
There's of course also "the whole new environment" and learning curve problem, but I think the "application X/Y/Z is not present under Linux"-problem is one of core problems, really..
For example, when I was a sysadmin at school several years ago, I was asked several times if we could switch over a hundred desktops over to Linux.. this would have cut costs quite a bit (+making administration a lot easier), besides making a good statement about open source of course...
But that simply wasn't doable.. we had over 60 educational applications that were not available under Linux (chicken-egg problem.. etc..)
Perhaps we should have gotten organized with other schools pushing for Linux software and switching over, but I wasn't (maybe still not) such an activist at that moment ;)
JIVXor

Post by JIVXor »

Virtual machines also exist in Linux.

Even so, I tell you that I like Linux, but what so far, here in Cuba, gives us the money is Windows. Now you would have to make a poll between Lynx && Mozzila FireFox. Lynx is thousand times more secure and faster than FF. (That makes me think : Now Syzop really brought up a valid point with OpenSource ;P [forgive my sarcasm :D])
NEVERTHELESS NOBODY USE LYNX.
Please, It's just a matter of taste, when Linux get the real power in desktops, all the world will use it. (and bad people will also hack it)(And that is not taking the possibility that they begin to write they own private code, remember when the money and piracy begins to appear, many things could change)

Like always, I end saying that it´s a question of taste and experience of the user.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

JIVXor wrote:Virtual machines also exist in Linux.
It just doesn't work great.. wine I mean... Many problems (in my experience, and reading the thread, I'm not the only one).
vmware or bochs etc would work, sure, but then you pretty much end up using windows anyway, only slower.
Even so, I tell you that I like Linux, but what so far, here in Cuba, gives us the money is Windows.
Still not entirely sure what you mean by that btw :P. [language fun]

You mean you are getting money by using windows?
Or like... you are a windows sysadmin, and it is your job / giving you money?
Now you would have to make a poll between Lynx && Mozzila FireFox. Lynx is thousand times more secure and faster than FF. (That makes me think : Now Syzop really brought up a valid point with OpenSource ;P [forgive my sarcasm :D])
NEVERTHELESS NOBODY USE LYNX.
Horrible bad attempt at sarcasm, if you ask me :P.

(side note: I use lynx from time to time... for the purpose it was especially made for: text mode browsing on a text-only terminal)
Please, It's just a matter of taste
Yes, I already agreed on that.
Firefox is still more secure than IE though... ;p
JIVXor

Post by JIVXor »

We are getting money DEVELOPING in Visual Studio .NET, not MONO, not Kylix, not Perl. When you find at least ONE development platform in *NIX/Linux like Visual Studio .NET . .. .. you will not find it, do not worry about that, that is not a possibility, is a fact. And I agree : Mozzila FF is more secure/stable than IE, but I HAVE TO USE IE 'cause I develop in Windows. I have to use integrated authentication and so many many things that FF does not treat appropriately.

PD : Sorry about my english I speak 4 lenguages, I know english is fundamental but I'm not a machine.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Ah ok, I suspected that (@money)...

I would be the first one to admit it's easy to get money with selling simple products for windows...
JIVXor

Post by JIVXor »

If you think that those products are simple, then I respect your opinion. Always think that we are a Third World Country, that we do not have the informatic culture that US or UK have for example, but in addition to that we do not have the technology. And in addition of that, I feel proud to develop for my country and hopefully we´ll get the culture of OpenSource that you have, and thus surpass us more.

I've just done install FF and yes, it's more comfortable to me. I will have to use IE in development cases.

This is now off subject, it's so clear that FF is more stable/secure than IE, and not by my discussions without sense, the poll results says everything ;)
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

No JIVXor, I meant.. it's not hard to get money out of simple products (say, a simple delphi or VB6 app). Not saying all windows apps are simple products, not at all!

Also I got various friends that develop, and they all do without IDE. One of them develops for windows and even uses vim/etc. Personally I really prefer gdb over the visual MSVC++ debugger. Though, I can understand if you are used to an IDE, you wonder how that is possible.... ;)

But I think we are getting kinda off-topic.. oh wait.. you already said that ;)
w00t

Post by w00t »

JIVXor wrote:We are getting money DEVELOPING in Visual Studio .NET, not MONO, not Kylix, not Perl. When you find at least ONE development platform in *NIX/Linux like Visual Studio .NET . .. .. you will not find it, do not worry about that, that is not a possibility, is a fact. And I agree : Mozzila FF is more secure/stable than IE, but I HAVE TO USE IE 'cause I develop in Windows. I have to use integrated authentication and so many many things that FF does not treat appropriately.

PD : Sorry about my english I speak 4 lenguages, I know english is fundamental but I'm not a machine.
Google for 'SharpDevelop' - it's written in C# so it should run under Mono, which is a .NET runtime implementation for non-windows OSs, though I've not tested. It works quite ok under windows .NET, though I did experience one crash in the [far superior] beta version of 2.0.
-ChatSpike IRC Network [http://www.chatspike.net]
-Denora Stats [http://denora.nomadirc.net]
-Omerta [http://www.barafranca.com]
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Heh, I used SharpDevelop when I was learning C# last year. Crashed all the time, although I was using an early beta version. :P (Didn't stop me from getting 98% for my final exam though.) I still use it because I don't have the cash for Visual Studio.

(Firefox for the win, btw)
w00t

Post by w00t »

1.x release crashed once or twice on me, yeah. 2.x beta is much nicer, and I only got it to crash once by doing something fairly strange.
-ChatSpike IRC Network [http://www.chatspike.net]
-Denora Stats [http://denora.nomadirc.net]
-Omerta [http://www.barafranca.com]