old news not available

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

sentinel256

old news not available

Post by sentinel256 »

just a minor issue on http://www.unrealircd.com
when clickin' on "old news" a mysql error occurs
JIVXor

Post by JIVXor »

I sent a private message to Syzop with that error, it seems that he didn't read it :?
Bricker

Post by Bricker »

dont private message anyone, its useless. just post on forums and wait for it to be answered and or replied
-Bricker-
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

*nod*
or even better, do like the webpage says under support:

Code: Select all

Infrastructure Mailing List - Submit any suggestions or comments about the website to the developers.
It's really impossible to keep track of things otherwise.

Anyway, this is now fixed.
JIVXor

Post by JIVXor »

Small problem, fastest and discreet solution. I didn't want to post a public message neither a submit on Infrastructure Mailing List. I think nobody *except coders/supporters* should find out an error in the system, when it can be solved easily and discreetly. Next time I publish it so all people see it and if they can take out advantage of it... then make what they want(in the worst sense of the sentence).
So ... thanks anyway for fix it, that was always my intention, instead of they knew it and at the end got ready anyway. Don't you believe that it´s to drown in a glass of water to make all that? With simply to read the private message, to maintain it all discreet and gets the problem ready anyway.
Take it in mind .... and don't worry, I'm gonna follow the rules next time ;)
w00t

Post by w00t »

Being an admin on a site with over 60k registered users, I can state quite plainly that this is not a solution. I do not have the time, energy, or patience to explain to all 70k that a particular problem has been fixed, nor do I want 70k people to report a problem to me. The idea being that there are channels and methods through which things should be done to prevent a waste of time, etc.
-ChatSpike IRC Network [http://www.chatspike.net]
-Denora Stats [http://denora.nomadirc.net]
-Omerta [http://www.barafranca.com]
JIVXor

Post by JIVXor »

In the same way that he has to check the public messages, the same way that he can check the private messages. That's my opinion, I know that it is annoying, but it is better to be sacrificed to achieve discretion.
As I already said, next time, I'll follow the protocol.
My excuses.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

1) It is impossible to keep track of things if they are reported on X places.
2) I don't read every thread on this forum, I sometimes tend to have more useful things to do.

To elaborate on point 1: The bugtracker is an excelent way to keep track of unreal issues, people report things, people can comment, one can acknowledge/confirm the bug, close it, refer them to duplicates, add it as a childbugreport to the 3.2.X internal todo list, etc etc.
The same way is for infrastructure related stuff, this goes to my 'infra' map in my mailbox, if it looks like a real problem report (no spam or useless support request) then I go stand on the msg, hit '1' to mark them red, mark them unread, and I'll be sure to check it when I have time to fix it (hint: being able to read a report does not mean you have the time to actually fix it right away).

2.. Why should I read every thread/every message this whole forum, every message in #unreal-support and other unreal related channels, etc. No.. I cannot and will not do that, it's a complete waste of time and horribly inefficient. People should just report the things at the right places, and - yes - if they don't, then get told where to report (AND THEN ACTUALLY REPORT THEM THERE.. GOd.. .how difficult can that be *think of all those lazy guys that come with bugs in #unreal-support and never report them on bugs.unrealircd.org and then wondering why several unreal versions later it still has the same bug*).

Actually this are not 2 seperate points, they are very related.

Oh and JIVXor, this is a general comment, not targetted at you. Though, I did write it triggered by your comment regarding reading posts/PM's/etc.
sentinel256

Post by sentinel256 »

hmm thx for fixing anyway..
next ill report on mailinglist.. forum was the first place for me because i was on it anyways.. ;)