Is this even possible?

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

TraceRoute

Is this even possible?

Post by TraceRoute »

Hi all... thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any insight on this.

I'm setting up a small IRC server, however I want to enforce some limitations on it.

I want to have a NickServ set up to ONLY allow users who are registered with the NickServ to log in. I plan on having a script running in the background that will be updating the NickServ list with user account data from a forum. If you haven't signed up for the forum, you can't get in to the chat room.

This goes hand in hand with the other feature: A Java IRC client. I'm working on a Java client that will connect to the IRC server. I don't want any other IRC clients being used on the server, just the Java one I'm building. I've bounced a few ideas around, and I have a few options that I want to run with, but I was wondering if anyone else has tried this before. If so, how did you pull it off?

Granted, an unregistered user wouldn't be able to get to the Java client, and thus be unable to log in anyhow if I can get the IRC client ban going. The NickServ is there to keep forum users from impersonating each other. I can have the Java client log in to the NickServ on login, so there's no issue there.

Does anyone have any ideas on either of these questions? Thanks again for any assistance, links, or guidance you can lend. I really appreciate it! It's a crazy idea... but it's going to be fun to figure out!

-T

PS - I knew this post didn't fit in the support forums... the OT forum was the only place I would guess that I could post and not get flamed to kingdom come. Admins - please move this if you feel it would be better served elsewhere.
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

I'd say just only allow connections from the java, and don't tell anyone else how to get there... Then make a services module that kills people if they don't ident.
TraceRoute

Post by TraceRoute »

Ahh... I forgot about using Ident... Excellent idea!

Thanks so much for your help!!

-T