New Forum Section Idea

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

White_Magic

New Forum Section Idea

Post by White_Magic »

i was wondering, along side the FAQ we have of course for unrealircd, if there is any chance of a new section added of " FAQ " that isnt on the FAQ already or perhaps most common FAQs added to a FAQ section here?

an example is the simple " how do i allow users to be in X channels rather than the preset number"
simple, question then answer then topic locked. - not on the FAQ atm
and... the FAQ about loudmodule cloak.so not loading...
-

Why would it be benefical?

1) A search would/could scan through this section of the forum helping to give posative matchs, where as it doesnt scan the FAQ (unless syzop makes it or someone lol)

2) Any repeative questions can be auto deleted / closed with a post before hand from moderators/members to say the answer is located here <blahlocation>

3) The FAQ would be here and will have no reasons to have not checked the FAQ first, where as the present FAQ is not part of this forum which they can be ignorant with.

4) It could be done in other languages as well providing much wider/faster access support internationally - rather than waiting for someone who can talk/read the language
(come to think about it, i dont think there is a FAQ in german russian greek dutch etc?)
i spend 4 hrs a day gaming and 14hrs on irc, for 5days a week, im not an addict :D
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

That sounds like a reasonable idea to me.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

I think it's a bad idea to have two FAQ's. There's also no good reason to do so, and I don't think having it would help much either. Nor do I find it practical.

The procedure for users to follow are:
* check the docs
* check the FAQ
* search at the forums

There are just quite some users that ignore all these 3 steps and post directly, I agree, but they tend to be "lost souls" (in other words: other things won't help with them either) :P.

I'll see if I can improve the "How to get support" post in Unreal3.2 Support, but usually the users asking these questions won't look at them anyway (as said earlier).

As for your specific comment on maxchannelsperuser, I don't see why that would have to be in the faq.. it has only been asked a couple of times in the past 2-3 years. It's not that if a question ever comes up like four times in 3 years it should be in the FAQ. It's kinda logical (especially if people don't search) to have seen a question a few times if there are almost 2000 topics (and 11000 posts). This is why searching is so useful.
Not to mention that maxchannelsperuser is in example.conf and the docs.

This is what I mean with unpratical.. there should be one FAQ, with real Frequently Asked Questions. It's not PAQ "Previous Asked Questions", it's FREQUENTLY Asked Questions... ;P

It sounds like if it was up to you we would add a question for almost every configuration item in the FAQ. That's not what a FAQ is for.
White_Magic

Post by White_Magic »

would it be possible that new users can only see the " how to get support " post first, and then after that they can add topics etc?

sounds cruel :O

POQ sounds good too hehe
i spend 4 hrs a day gaming and 14hrs on irc, for 5days a week, im not an addict :D