Is this what I should expect from a support channel?

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

serenecloud

Is this what I should expect from a support channel?

Post by serenecloud »

|12:06:06pm| --> Now talking in: (#unreal-support)
|12:06:06pm| -->
|12:06:06pm| --> Topic: (READ: Rules: http://dev.unrealircd.com/supporters:rules | Docs: vulnscan.org |Bugs: http://bugs.unrealircd.org | NO PASTING: http://rafb.net/paste | Unreal3.2.7 announced and important strategy change. Read unrealircd.com! | DOCS!: http://www.unrealircd.com/files/docs/unreal32docs.html)
|12:06:06pm| --> Set by: (aegis) on (Wednesday August 22 2007 05:43:36)
|12:06:06pm| --> Users: (47), Ops: (10/21%), Halfops: (3/6%), Voiced: (29/62%), Regs: (5/11%)
|12:06:06pm| --> Join synced in: (0.094) secs
|12:06:06pm| -->
|12:06:29pm| +Invisionfree: Oh
|12:06:36pm| +Invisionfree: Stealth, you wanna help with Anope
|12:06:37pm| +Invisionfree: ?
|12:06:48pm| @Stealth: no, you need to go to anope's support for that
|12:07:25pm| --> ERROR: The_Quiz_Isn't_Loading is an invalid nickname.
|12:07:29pm| --> NICK: serenecloud is now known as The_Quiz_Isnt_Loading
|12:07:49pm| --> NICK: The_Quiz_Isnt_Loading is now known as Can_I_get_voice_please
|12:07:54pm| --> NICK: Can_I_get_voice_please is now known as serenecloud
|12:09:13pm| +Invisionfree: Stealth, do something ._.
|12:10:00pm| --> CHANMODE: Stealth set modes +b *!*light@*.cable.telstraclear.net
|12:10:00pm| --> This (*!*light@*.cable.telstraclear.net) ban affects (serenecloud)
|12:10:00pm| --> KICK: You were kicked from #unreal-support by Stealth (OOPS! I typed +v as +b, and my backspace key doesn't work!)
|12:10:01pm| --> ERROR: Unable to join #unreal-support (banned)
|12:10:18pm| --> MESSAGE: Stealth : dude, wtf?
|12:10:19pm| Stealth: Auto Message: I am currently not accepting PM's. So go away. Your notices, messages, ctcp's, etc are IGNORED!
Broken quiz:
I'm not a newbie, I just had a quick question and it could have been answered in the time it took me to post this.
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: Is this what I should expect from a support channel?

Post by Stealth »

1. Everyone goes through the quiz to get support in the channel. The only exception is when UnrealHelper is not present due to internet issues.
  2. If UnrealHelper is in the channel, the quiz link should be operational. They run from the same host.
  3. Instead of being a noob and changing your nick 3 times to try and get voice, why didn't you try going to another channel and tell someone the quiz link is down?
  4. You failed to read the rule that mentions no private messaging without permission, so the automated response should be expected. I usually see the first message that gets sent, and if you had stated the quiz link was "down", I would have investigated it and told you it works just fine for me (yes, it is up. I just looked).
  5. You failed to read the rule that says only the current version of Unreal is supported, so you would not have received support from the channel anyway.
  6. If your question could have been answered in the time it took to post this, then why didn't you just post your question instead?
Please, before making such complaints, be sure you meet all support criteria before complaining. Due to the above conditions, you would not have received support from the channel anyway.
serenecloud

Post by serenecloud »

1. That's why I tried to do it
2. Well then I suggest you see why it wasn't working? I tried the link in 2 browsers and both didn't load. I even posted a screenshot.
3. The channel wasn't active, where was the harm?
4. You knew I was having issues with the quiz, my nickname changes told you that, but you banned me anyway, unless you've removed the ban I can't rejoin the channel without evading which you'll probably ban me for again
5. Fine, that's a fair point
6. Because live help is normally more useful than forums for me. I prefer to actually chat rather than just post threads, plus it's usually a lot quicker and I don't have to register for an account on an IRC server.

TBH this is the first time I've been dissapointed in a support community, I'm less likely to recommend Unreal to others based on this.
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

Don't blame us for noobish acts. If it was not me who banned you it would have been one of the other ops. I don't care if the channel was "idle" at the time, it is still unwanted behavior, and definitely NOT the right way to get positive responses. We deal with tons of noobs who try to communicate through nick changes, each and every one of them gets the same +b treatment. Just because your nick said the quiz wasn't working, does not mean you need to then change it to "Can_I_get_voice_please". Like most people who do such, we only pay attention to the nick changes requesting voice. UnrealHelper is already set to ban most nicks doing that, so you had a chance to get banned anyway.

I honestly don't care if you're disappointed or not in this support community, you did something dumb, and got the consequence. You can recommend against Unreal to all your friends, it really doesn't harm this project one bit. It's just another user that wants to dislike us, like the thousands of people who already do. Also, if you're feeling so strongly against Unreal, why not run something else instead of wasting my time with a pointless argument? How about that, I'm telling you to go run another IRCd, happy? :)

I feel I do not need to sit here and justify my actions, or in the case it would have been any other supporter to hit +b, their action. I know there's at least 1 other person in that channel (who happens to be a coder) that would have done the same thing.

This topic is pointless, locking.