Machinepower and bandwith requiared by unrealircd

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

Doikor

Machinepower and bandwith requiared by unrealircd

Post by Doikor »

Im just curious about that how much machine power does unreal need to run lets say a 1000 user server?
And how much does lvl 9 ziplink take power? And how much does it make the bandwith usage smaller?

Sorry for my bad english.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Not so much... Just something like a p450 w/256mb should be more than enough. Probably lower-specs machines can handle it too provided there aren't really any other services running. Memory is the key here ;).

Bandwidth really depends on users/channels, like warez channels or RPG chats (and some other chats) use X times more traffic than average channels. Furthermore, I don't have much experience on it. What I do know is that the traffic itself usually is doable, but what is more important is how much "peak power" you have to handle attacks/splits/netjoins/etc.

I suggest using ziplevel 6 instead of 9, reason is: 6 has a near-best compress ratio without killing your cpu, 8/9 provide little extra % but require a lot more cpu power. Unfortunately I don't have statistics for you how much cpu it eats, but my guess is just 1-3% on a p450, probably during netjoins a bit more for a few seconds. I think a good estimate is that it compresses to 1/3 (one third) of the traffic, although at certain times it will be a lot more (especially during netjoins.. ->1/4.. 1/5).
tiko

Post by tiko »

Here's an example for you, Doikor:

Just recently my network acquired several hundred bots, I won't go into detail; this is merely an example. At the very peek of their connections, each of my servers were consuming approximately 60 kbit/s. All in all, when they finally ceased with the mass connections, bandwidth usage was around 18kbit/s, and the average active memory usage was 5MB per server. The page file was slightly higher at 6.5MB while the cpu usage generally remained at 0.0%.

This all happened in a 30 minute time frame, and the final tally of new connections was 600, for a maximum of 825 global users. Note, we do not use ziplinks.. as I saw that was mentioned before.
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

The biggest thing to remember is, there are many variables. In theory, 1000 users could use next to no bandwidth at all. If you set the ping frequency to once an hour, and the clients all idle, you'll probably use no more than 1kb/s, if that. However, if you have 10 users who are flooding like crazy, they would use more than 1000 idling users. Basically, user count is only one variable. It's important, but it really isn't enough to determine a bandwidth usage.

As for machine power, again, there are other variables. If you have 1000 users, and 1 channel, you will use less memory than if you had 1000 channels. It's really hard to give numbers, we instead wind up doing like Syzop did and say "not much" or like tiko did and give your own experience. The only way to find out how much it will use in your case is to try it an see.
-- codemastr
w00t

Post by w00t »

I think it would be interesting, if one could monitor the CPU usage and memory usage of a (medium size) IRCd once per minute, say, over hmm... 6 months or more and graph it. It would be interesting to see what kind of results one got.
-ChatSpike IRC Network [http://www.chatspike.net]
-Denora Stats [http://denora.nomadirc.net]
-Omerta [http://www.barafranca.com]
bash109

Post by bash109 »

w00t wrote:I think it would be interesting, if one could monitor the CPU usage and memory usage of a (medium size) IRCd once per minute, say, over hmm... 6 months or more and graph it. It would be interesting to see what kind of results one got.
LMFAO... it is possible for one to moniter the cpu usage of an ircd... for those who have heard of ircxpro (SHITTEST SERVER EVER) it has a cpu moniter so one day a couple of weeks ago i decided to make an addon for unreal to moniter how much cpu power it is using and to my suppries it was taking 100% of my cpu when i was idle and when i wasnt it was taking around 1 -2% so yeah it is possible