Problem with IRC quiz

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

JohnPeterson

Problem with IRC quiz

Post by JohnPeterson »

There are two correct answers to one of the questions

How do you save files as .conf (without suffix .txt) using Notepad?
  • Enclose the filename in quotes and select "All files" for file type.
  • Just type the file name in the file name box, and click save.
Both these answers are correct. I think I picked the wrong one so I got banned from the channel. "Just type the file name in the file name box, and click save" is correct if you have disabled "Hide extensions for known filetypes", which all advanced users have disabled. Otherwise you need to select "All files" to avoid the .txt extension being added to the name you type in. Also, enclosing the filename in quotes makes no difference as far as I know.
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: Problem with IRC quiz

Post by Stealth »

Option 2 "Just type the file name in the file name box, and click save." is incorrect.

If you have Windows hiding extensions of known file types, then typing "unrealircd.conf" in the save box will give you "unrealircd.conf.txt" and the ".txt" part will be hidden. This results in a file displaying as "unrealircd.conf" with a text file icon (you can see this by checking the directory listing in a command prompt).

If the file were not a known file type, you will not see a text document icon.
If it were a known file type, you will see a text document icon and just "unrealircd" without the .conf extension.

So in short, you're still incorrect. And yes, I did test this, and it is a common problem among people who do not fully understand Windows.
ohnobinki
UnrealIRCd coder

Post by ohnobinki »

Unfortunately, the only correct answer to that question is ``don't use notepad; use an editor which supports unix-style newlines properly like wordpad or emacs for windows'' :-p
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

ohnobinki wrote:Unfortunately, the only correct answer to that question is ``don't use notepad; use an editor which supports unix-style newlines properly like wordpad or emacs for windows'' :-p
Your opinion is completely off topic. If you personally don't want to use notepad, that is your choice. However, your personal opinion as to why you would(n't) want to use notepad is irrelevant to the question. Many users including myself has no issues with using notepad to edit unrealircd.conf on any supported version of windows.