[Suggestion:] New Modules Maintainer

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

dboyz

[Suggestion:] New Modules Maintainer

Post by dboyz »

I think the unrealircd team should call for new coders who can maintain old existing modules. Currently I noticed there are very few people who actually code modules for unrealircd. Even my suggestions are still untouched till this date.

Subsequently, a new channel in irc.unrealircd.org can be created specifically for modules development.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Re: [Suggestion:] New Modules Maintainer

Post by Syzop »

As for your last question with regards to IRC: I'd be fine if any coding questions related to modules take place on #unreal3-devel.

As for a call for new coders, I just sent an e-mail to the unreal-notify mailing list asking for help with testing, translations, and a PHP dev, so you're just a bit too late ;)
When we do the 3.2.10 stable release though, I'll be sure to announce the new modules site, so I could ask for module coders to come forward.

I think what's really missing is API documentation... Even if it would only describe the most basic things like the module skeleton, how to add hooks, deal with overrides, etc... that might help a lot. Unfortunately I don't have time to create such documentation myself.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

It should also be noted that the irc community in general has relatively few coders, which has always been the case. I'd assume that more than 99% of irc users cannot code and to be a useful coder you would need to know both the programming language as well as how irc works. Then there are people like myself who can write modules for one application, Anope 1.8 in my case, that doesn't have the time to learn another applications API, especially an undocumented one.
dboyz

Post by dboyz »

katsklaw wrote:It should also be noted that the irc community in general has relatively few coders, which has always been the case. I'd assume that more than 99% of irc users cannot code and to be a useful coder you would need to know both the programming language as well as how irc works. Then there are people like myself who can write modules for one application, Anope 1.8 in my case, that doesn't have the time to learn another applications API, especially an undocumented one.
True and to be honest, I can't code anything other than basic HTML, basic CSS and basic C. I just have ideas and I hope someday people will materialize them.

PS: After 16 months, I am still waiting for someone to volunteer to fix m_nocaps. [http://forums.unrealircd.org/viewtopic. ... 21be130b36]

:cry:
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

You may have to wait another 16 months or longer or learn to code and fix it yourself. No one is obligated to fix it, nor is the unreal team obligated to appoint a "module maintainer". You hit the head of the nail when you used the word "volunteer" because that is exactly what we are.
dboyz

Post by dboyz »

I have pasted logs (which is the best I could do at that time since I did not know where to obtain the error messages). I was hoping that someone could help me with that. (By the way, there were no compile errors)