Greetings from an OLD Unrealircd user

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

viningc

Greetings from an OLD Unrealircd user

Post by viningc »

I read somewhere that this forum was started in 2004 but I vaguely remember starting and running an UnrealIRCD Chat Server sometime around the mid to late 1990's. I had started teaching basic computer classes and wanted a chat server I had control over for my students. Being such a NOOB ( and I still am as far as chat servers are concerned!) I actually had to get someone else to install the software for me. :shock: Unfortunately, the ISP for my server decided to drop his business and start up elsewhere, taking my hosting fees with him, so it has been many years since I worked with the software. :roll: I had thought there was a forum even back then but obviously can't remember what my username or password was ... even if it had been transferred over to this one, so I have re-registered.

I have now downloaded the latest version (3.2.10.2) and will start reading the documentation to see if I can install it myself this time. From a cursory glance, it appears like it is just as hard as it was last time and I'm not getting any younger. Hope no one in here objects too much to really boneheaded NOOB questions. :oops:

A fairly popular website that sells and rents game software online is going to stop their forum January 15, 2014 and I have banded together with some of the current forum members to create a new home for the soon-to-be homeless forum members. I thought a useful thing to have would be a chatroom. Unfortunately, the toys mt ISP offered, though easy to install, were not very easy to administrate.

Yes, I've made a couple of references to other sites but have posted no actual links. Having run my own forums and Administrated others, I know that a link on the first post is almost sure fire death if the Moderators are on their toes at all. I don't think I will post any links unless requested to do so. That way I should be able to continue to enjoy help from other forum members here.

[Added]
OK, have run into my first hickup. I don't have access to a linux command line for installation. I have access to a hosted server running Debian Linux but I only have access via FTP using Filezilla. It seems to me, when I was running this before, there was a program I ran on a windows system to emulate a linux command line or give me access to the server at the command line level. Even if I could remember what it was, it wouldn't do me any good, since I'm now using an iMac.

Would appreciate some suggestions on how to overcome this hickup. ;)
I know you think you understood what you think I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
viningc

Re: Greetings from an OLD Unrealircd user

Post by viningc »

Thanks but that wasn't any better than the Macs Terminal program. :(

I think my problem now is that my site is secure and I need to contact my host to find out the exact procedure, including username and password, to access my site directly. Once I have that information and I can actually type in commands at the command line, things should go a little better.
I know you think you understood what you think I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
cards

Post by cards »

Just a simple question, but why not utilize one of the thousands of small networks out there already for a meeting place. It's nearly impossible to setup unreal without shell access to a Linux box.
NetAdmin
irc.420-HighTimes.com
viningc

Post by viningc »

cards wrote:... why not utilize one of the thousands of small networks out there already for a meeting place.
I can't because many of my prospective members are underage.
cards wrote:It's nearly impossible to setup unreal without shell access to a Linux box.
So I've found out in a different topic. :(