Connection Timed Out Issue (Yep another one...)

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

kici

Connection Timed Out Issue (Yep another one...)

Post by kici »

Hello,

- I've read through all the posts on this and believe me I tried it all,

Running an Ubuntu Desktop, I have ports 6667, 7000, 7002, 8067 opened as well forwarded to the ip address received from ifconfig.

Locally it all works, for some unknown reason I cannot connect externally to it, "Error: Operation timed out"...

I've tried a few versions of listen's even added my ip manually restarted server etc, still no solution,

Please let me know what I have to provide in order to fix this issue, it will be highly appreciated!

(I have checked open ports with the canyouseeme site, it is open and as well I've checked the terminal in Ubuntu it says open also)

Thank you ver much for your assistance.
katsklaw

Re: Connection Timed Out Issue (Yep another one...)

Post by katsklaw »

Port forwarding is just one step of many possible.

popular list of things that can cause this are:

local firewall (SElinux/iptables/windows firewall etc.)
port forwarding (too many routers to mention)
provider firewall (far beyond your control)

The above list is not inclusive. Anything anywhere along the data's path from point A to point Z can affect the data. This is why it seems as if everyone issue is unique when it's not.

When you say it works "locally" at what level of "locally" are you referring? Are you referring to localhost(127.0.0.1) or are you referring to the IP your NAT/DHCP router assigns you (192.168.1.2 or 10.10.1.2)?

Moving to Off Topic.
kici

Post by kici »

Thank you for the response, yes by locally I meant 127.0.0.1,
I have turned off the firewall on Ubuntu by: sudo ufw disable
Only have 1 router (and I have tested by opening the port on Windows Machine it works people can connect to it), then I installed Ubuntu and now I'm stuck.

I just tried that IP that NAT/DHCP assigns to me, to connect from the Local Machine (192.168.1.105) and it works, (ALSO:) I connected from another computer that is wirelessly connected on the same internet by using IP 192.168.1.105 (Ubuntu's) and it worked as well, the only way it does not work is by connecting on the internet ip, anything else I can try?

Thank you.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

well you have eliminated your local network so the problem must exist externally so local firewall outwards. Yes, I know you disabled your firewall but that is just the closest layer to the inside. You still have router, ISP, internet .. etc.

Since there are so many variables, one can't just so "oh it's this" .. you have to use deductive methods to find the issue. Since each case is unique, even slightly, we can't sit at this end and tell you what the problem is exactly.
kici

Post by kici »

Could you please point me to a few things I can do to try and eliminate the issue?

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

I have already. Everything outside your local network.

Google is your friend here. Google your router settings for port forwarding, google information about your ISP. As stated there are countless things that can cause a timeout and no one here can tell you exactly what it is .. we ar not there at your house, know your hardware, work for your ISP, have access to routing and trace results ...

In short, there isn't really anything else anyone here can do for you. We simply haven't the answers to every question to find the solution.

Good luck.