UnrealIrcd: Please get proper reverse DNS

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

HeXiLeD

UnrealIrcd: Please get proper reverse DNS

Post by HeXiLeD »

So, recently, while trying to connect to unrealircd support chat:

Code: Select all

Your IP address does not resolve to a host. Please get proper reverse DNS
Caused by features in 4.0.16

Just happens that some of us, actually and intentionally do set an improper reverse DNS for specific reasons.

Q: Does this active feature mean that we either fix the problem on our side or will not connect to the support chat?
Constructive criticism leads to evolution and progress. Negative criticism leads to obsolescence. We are not in the 90's IRC world anymore.
CertFP: d985d21f89fe2977b593c4d381a1a86802e62990d9328d893db76d59f9935244
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Re: UnrealIrcd: Please get proper reverse DNS

Post by Syzop »

It's an unusual measure, but the reason for this is that our server is constantly attacked by drones, which happen to be (>98%) on unresolved IP's. We of course have other countermeasures as well, but one of them is this and it really helps.

For regulars (like you) I don't mind adding an exception allow block. In fact I've added 5 or so.
For people who are just seeking one-time support, yeah they will have to resort to some other method (mibbit, irccloud) or if they can fix their rdns.
JimmyTex

Post by JimmyTex »

I didn't know it was that severe, Syzop. Are there any solutions on the horizon that can help in situations like yours?
Lion-O

Post by Lion-O »

@HeXiLeD thank you very much for opening this thread.
I am too experiencing the same issue.
I barely understand the issue not to mention how to solve it.
For now im unable to connect :?
update: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/ ... -dns-issue
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

It has been quiet for some time now so I've disabled the rDNS requirement. Please note that if the attacks starts again then I may have to re-enable the restriction(s) to keep #unreal-support workable.

As for the question posed earlier: yes we do run antirandom, connthrottle, use various DNS blacklists and even have some custom protections, but even after that there was too much noise at the time.