Unable to connect to server (Permission denied)

If you hit any installation issues or cannot connect to your freshly installed UnrealIRCd then this forum is for you.

Moderator: Supporters

billden

Unable to connect to server (Permission denied)

Post by billden »

I am trying to make two laptops chat running a mIRC client on each laptop and UnrealIRCD on one of the
laptops as the server. The two laptops are connected via an Ethernet switch with no other connectivity whatsoever.
Both laptops have their wifi disabled. They are completely isolated except to each other via the ethernet connection.
They are running Win 10 and are in a workgroup; they are NOT in a domain. One of the two laptops is also running the
UnrealIRCD server software. Both of the mIRC clients get the following message:"Unable to connect to server (Permission denied)

I have never configured IRC before and I am trying to make this as simple as possible so that I have a "known good" configuration
before I try to get more sophisticated. Any thoughts on what I should look for?
CrazyCat

Re: IRCD in standalone classroom

Post by CrazyCat »

There is no "good" configuration, you just need to read all inline documentation in config files and set datas as you need.
You can show us your unrealircd.conf file, so we can help you.
billden

Post by billden »

I will try to build the .conf file again and if i can't get it to work, I'll send it to you.

I am running UnrealIRCD on a Laptop named "IRC_1". I am not running a domain. I have two laptops in a workgroup called "WORKGROUP". No DNS server or anything else like that. The static IP address on the laptop running the IRC server is 200.150.50.101. I am not sure what the "fully qualified name" will be. I am currently trying "IRC_1.local.

These machines will always have the same static IPs so would it be better if I address by IP such as "200.150.50.101.local"?
billden

Post by billden »

I am not sure how to attach my entire conf file so I will copy/paste the only places I made changes to the sample.conf...

me {
name "200.150.50.101.local";
info "SIMWARE IRC Server";
sid "549";
}

admin {
"Billy Smith";
"billy";
"[email protected]";
}

cloak-keys {
"aoAr1HnR6gl3sJ7hVz4Zb7x4YwpW";
"aoAr1HnR6gl3sJ7hVz4Zb7x4YwpX";
"aoAr1HnR6gl3sJ7hVz4Zb7x4YwpY";
}

kline-address "[email protected]"; /* e-mail or URL shown when a user is banned */

I keep getting Unable to connect to server (Permission Denied)
CrazyCat

Post by CrazyCat »

Use the ip as name, or "IRC_1", it's enough.
The important things in the configuration are the allow blocks, which will allow (or deny) clients, and listen block which defines how your unrealircd is waiting connections.

Code: Select all

allow {
   ip "*@*";
   class clients;
   maxperip 2;
}
listen {
   ip *;
   port 6667;
}
With this configuration, you allow every ip to connect (max twice by ip) your unrealircd on port 6667 (default unsecure).
billden

Post by billden »

My allow and listen blocks are identical to yours (they were set that way in the example file and I did not modify them) except my maxperip is set to 3 not 2.
When I tried to use just my computer name (IRC_1), it errored out saying I had to use a "fully qualified hostname". I thought it might not like the underscore in IRC_1 so I changed my computer name to IRC1 and used that in the file and got the same error. I tried the IP and it accepted it without erroring out, but I still could not connect (Permission denied).
billden

Post by billden »

I am going to copy my exact .conf file. I apologize if I am not supposed to do this. Again, this is on an isolated laptop with nothing at all connected to it except another laptop connected via LAN switch. No outside connectivity whatsoever...

/* Configuration file for UnrealIRCd 5
---rest removed by moderator---

Please let me know if there is something obvious that I have wrong.
Lord255

Post by Lord255 »

hello.
first of all, please edit your previous message and use pastebin or something.
just give us an url pointong to the paste of your conf.
secondly: could you please sum up what is wrong? what is your question? sorry, i read back, but didnt see any exact question.
i rly dont know why did you paste your conf in the first place.

you want an unreal server within LAN, which is possible, someone already told you.
maybe the info was too much and i just misread something, so please repeat your question and edit your prev message with a paste url :)

thanks
CrazyCat

Post by CrazyCat »

@Lord255 : he get "Permission denied" when trying to connect it's unrealircd.

How to resolve ?
1. Check your firewall, ports must be open
2. Run unrealircd, check it is really running (look in process list, read logs)
3. Try to ping the unrealircd host from all computers which have to connect to unreal
4. Run the client and try to connect
5. Read the unrealircd logs to know who refuse the connection

traceroute and telnet can also help you
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

"Permission denied" is not a rejection message generated by UnrealIRCd. So when you see that error, the client is most likely not even getting as far as reaching UnrealIRCd, it is blocked before that. CrazyCat is correct that is likely a firewall issue (1st thing he mentioned), but I think it is on the client side, eg the application mIRC is not allowed to connect to the LAN or something like that. Windows has some kind of prompt for that to allow LAN access or not.
You can also try a different client, that gives you a fresh start to try getting that setting right.

(And of course, once this one is fixed you may hit another issue...)