IRCD in standalone classroom

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

billden

IRCD in standalone classroom

Post by billden »

Is it possible to configure UnrealIRCD in an offline, standalone network inside a classroom. This will be used to provide chat functionality between an instructor and one or more students. All PCs (Windows 10) in the classroom are connected via a switch with no outside connectivity whatsoever. Can the PC running the server software also run client software or do I need a dedicated server? We have just begun working on this "chat" requirement, so any information you can provide will be helpful. We were considering using the mIRC client software... Thoughts?
billden

Re: IRCD in standalone classroom

Post by billden »

I am surprised that I haven't gotten any replies yet. Am I asking this question in the correct forum?
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Yes, you can run an IRC server and use IRC without internet, on a LAN or restricted network, no problem.
And sure, you can run the server and one or more clients on the same machine.

PS: If you are in need of more instantaneous replies, then you can connect to our UnrealIRCd support network at irc.unrealircd.org and then /join #unreal-support. (In the end, though, support here and there is done by volunteers so there are no guaranteed response times.)
billden

Post by billden »

Thanks for the heads up, Syzop. Can you recommend a simple to use IRC client for a Windows 10 box? I am considering mIRC but only because it was the first one I came across and seems to be a popular choice. As I mentioned earlier, this is for classroom use and will only be used for an instructor and one or two students.
CrazyCat

Post by CrazyCat »

You can use HexChat