DCC send/receive problems,

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

Amfibia

DCC send/receive problems,

Post by Amfibia »

DCC send problems,I hope someone can help me with following problem

I set up an unreal irc server on my lan. server is running perfect and local and internet users are able to login.

when I try a dcc file send, i get following;

lan client -> lan client (same PC) OK
lan client -> server client OK
server client -> lan client, popups a dcc file send screen but not starting transfer
internet client -> lan client OK
lan client -> internet client (DCC ports forwarded in firewall) popups a dcc file send screen but not starting transfer

it's driving me nuts. I can receive incoming internet originated dcc files on my client, but cannot send one (both mIRC or Pirch) to an internet client. and I cannot receive a DCC file from the client running on the server on my LAN client, but visa versa works.

Any help is appriciated.

thnx

Amfibia
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

Moved -> Off Topic

This is not an issue with Unreal. It is because of the following:
  1. Your LAN IP is used by your client. You need to find out how to set this to your external IP.
  2. You don't have the proper ports forwarded.
From your description, it seems that your client does not have the proper IP set. When a DCC is sent, the following happens:
  1. Your computer sends the CTCP command to the other user telling him/her you wish to send a file. This message contains your IP and port.
  2. The other user then attempts to connect to you using the IP and port s/he recieved.
Jason

Post by Jason »

This is because the lan client doesnt know its internet IP.

How to fix:

1) Make sure each client has an external IP.
2) Make sure each client connects to the server's external IP, not its LAN IP.
3) Make sure no firewalls are interfering.
Why the hell can't my signature be empty?
"Your message contains too few characters."
Amfibia

Post by Amfibia »

thnx for the answers. I will try first thing n the morning
Darvocet

Post by Darvocet »

Amfibia wrote:thnx for the answers. I will try first thing n the morning
This is a walkthrough that I had written for the forums of my IRC network, I know that it has helped many people so it couldn't hurt for you to give it a shot.

Ok its not that hard to get working... What you have to know for IRC is that it uses a couple different ports. It uses port 59 for DCC in general. Then it also needs a range of ports to be open for the actual send or chat.

Try opening the following in your router: TCP 59, 2000-2010

I would close the other ports, first off they are under 1024, meaning other programs are already assigned to use those ports. Better to use generic or unassigned ports that are higher than 1024 but lower than 4096.

Then in mIRC do "/dccserver +sfc on 59"

That turns on the DCC server listening for files, and chat on the default port.

Next in mIRC (its in various locations for older versions) update the port range that mIRC will use for sending. In mIRC 6.16 this is located in the main options under connect/options & the advanced button.

Set port range for connections for "DCC" (I leave the other box unchecked).

Set the ports for 2000-2010 (First: 2000, Last: 2010)

Now it should work just fine. Assuming the ports are open in your router, and that no firewalls (including WinXP Firewall) is blocking it. Open the exact same ports in WinXP firewall as you did in your router if you intend on using it.

Hope that helps.
- Darvocet
Sr. Network Admin: EpicIRC.Net