Join Throttle

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Greggor

Join Throttle

Post by Greggor »

For some reason, the join throttle is just not working... It's set to +j 3:10 and +f [10j#R10,10m#M10,10t#b]

The idiot in question is using proxies and is impossible to ban. He just join/part floods the channel whenever he's bored and there's nothing I can do about it. I can't set the channel to +R because it's the help channel and people usually go there to ask how to register their nicknames.

[6:21pm]Joins: plz_hav_cex (~[email protected]) «30 users »
[6:21pm]Parts: plz_hav_cex (~[email protected]) (<Insert Racist Message>) «29 users »
[6:21pm]Parts: plz_hav_cex (~[email protected]) (<Insert Racist Message>) «29 users »

And here's some more in case you haven't seen enough

[6:05pm]Joins: greggor_sets_mode_n1ger (~[email protected]) «34 users »
[6:05pm]Parts: greggor_sets_mode_n1ger (~[email protected]) (I LIVE IN MONTGOMERY ALABAMA) «33 users »
[6:05pm]Parts: greggor_sets_mode_n1ger (~[email protected]) (I LIVE IN MONTGOMERY ALABAMA) «33 users »
<Server down for maintenance>

^ :D
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Re: Join Throttle

Post by Syzop »

Greggor wrote:For some reason, the join throttle is just not working... It's set to +j 3:10 and +f [10j#R10,10m#M10,10t#b]
I would be suspicious at the thought that BOTH systems would fail :p.

What is your +f set to though? I'm missing the time parameter (the :xx part) ;).
So not '+f [10j#R10,10m#M10,10t#b]' but like '+f [10j#R10,10m#M10,10t#b]:60'
(etc..)
Hmm, too bad you don't have seconds in your timestamp though :). Since now it's not any proof :P.

Why not put it at +j 3:40? +j 3:10 seems a bit too nice if you ask me ;)
Greggor

Post by Greggor »

Syzop wrote:
Greggor wrote:For some reason, the join throttle is just not working... It's set to +j 3:10 and +f [10j#R10,10m#M10,10t#b]
I would be suspicious at the thought that BOTH systems would fail :p.

What is your +f set to though? I'm missing the time parameter (the :xx part) ;).
So not '+f [10j#R10,10m#M10,10t#b]' but like '+f [10j#R10,10m#M10,10t#b]:60'
Whoops, forgot to add the :15
Syzop wrote:
(etc..)
Hmm, too bad you don't have seconds in your timestamp though :). Since now it's not any proof :P.
But I'm not lying :(
Syzop wrote: Why not put it at +j 3:40? +j 3:10 seems a bit too nice if you ask me ;)
Some people don't know how to work their IRC client I guess :S

Dukat

Post by Dukat »

Greggor wrote:The idiot in question is using proxies and is impossible to ban.
Use a proxy scanner (like BOPM)- that should help.
If you don't make mistakes, you aren't really trying.
- Coleman Hawkins
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

Without seconds in timestamps it's impossible to see the exact timing of each join and quit. Since your timeout is set to 10, you need to determine if he is in fact joining more than 3 times within a 10 second period. Without seconds in timestamps... your guess is as good as mine.
Greggor

Post by Greggor »

Dukat wrote:Use a proxy scanner (like BOPM)- that should help.
We already use a BOPM and a Tor-detector. It doesn't help at all.
aquanight wrote:Without seconds in timestamps it's impossible to see the exact timing of each join and quit. Since your timeout is set to 10, you need to determine if he is in fact joining more than 3 times within a 10 second period. Without seconds in timestamps... your guess is as good as mine.
He IS joining over 3 times in 10 seconds. I'm there every time it happens. And it happens at least 3 times a day every day. Hell, he's joining over 10 times in 3 seconds.

White_Magic

Post by White_Magic »

if ur so sure hes joining 10times so quickly why not do +j 10:2
this`ll surely stop him
i spend 4 hrs a day gaming and 14hrs on irc, for 5days a week, im not an addict :D
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Like I said, 3 days ago.. +j 3:40.
If someone is (re)joining more than 3 times in 40 seconds, I would consider that quite annoying. Also note that it does not ban the user or anything, they just cannot join for x(x) sec again. That should teach them to behave.

+j 3:10 is really too few... You find 1 (re)join every 5s ok then?? aka 12 joins per minute
Greggor

Post by Greggor »

Ok, I'll try resetting the join throttle to 3:40

Solutech

Post by Solutech »

Are you sure bopm isnt catching these addys ? . I had a problem with proxies from sympatico and cox and when I installed bopm it klined each connect immediately. Check bopm for error logs on the scans .
Yawn. So there's yet another "if the user clicks the button, they're infected" exploit. Why is this news? We already know users are idiots.
Greggor

Post by Greggor »

There's absolutely no problem with the bopm... Every once in a while we get a loser try to proxy in... but this guy gets around it every time without exception.

Solutech

Post by Solutech »

if you dont get users from sympatico or cox then id suggest glining both hosts . Drastic but it keeps him out . you could always grant an exception to users you know off those providers. Although I havent seen anyone off cox or sympatico that wasnt on proxy yet lol .

In my experience most proxy nerds have only a handful of good proxies the scanners dont catch . They then fall back to the known proxies and bopm takes over from there .
Yawn. So there's yet another "if the user clicks the button, they're infected" exploit. Why is this news? We already know users are idiots.
black_skies4

Post by black_skies4 »

No, trust me, we have users from all over the place. SwiftIRC is a big network. Having the join mode too low won't be good either because of the idiots on Swiftswitch pressing the Help button a million times going "WHY ISN'T A HELP SCREEN COMING UP?!!?" which makes them keep joining/parting the help channel.

Trust me and Greggor on this, that idiot does join way more than three times in ten seconds. He is an AOLer, the host that was showing was him proxying.
w00t

Post by w00t »

I think we can call this closed.. it's really getting nowhere but running around in circles.
-ChatSpike IRC Network [http://www.chatspike.net]
-Denora Stats [http://denora.nomadirc.net]
-Omerta [http://www.barafranca.com]