I have kinda a HUGE question....

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
xevanx

I have kinda a HUGE question....

Post by xevanx »

Ok i really want to host my own irc server so me and all my friends can chat n stuff. The thing is, is i have no idea how to do it.... :(.i know your thinking that if i dont know how than i just shouldnt do it... well i can rent my own ircd server but i just have no clue how to set it up. all i can to is log into the ssh. well basicly what im asking is do any of you know of a good tutorial or books i can read.. or well anyway i can learn??

id really appreciate it
thank you very much i hope you guys can help me :D
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

i know your thinking that if i dont know how than i just shouldnt do it...
You are 100% correct. You should not do it.

There are tons of networks out there that are small. Take mine for example: I have had a max of 20 users over a period of 3 years, and I average about 7 connected at any time. A small network is all you need, just simply connect, share it with your friends, and make yourself at home. Most people won't mind the added users.

If you are looking for something that is going to be 'just for your friends', it honestly is not worth the time to learn how to set up an IRC server and services. Just join a small hole-in-the-wall network, and I guarentee it will be like having your own (without admin privilages ofcourse), and you will be left alone by n00bs.
Jason

Post by Jason »

xevanx, I will even voulenteer mine for the chore. Ill set up a custom javachat for you too if you want. If your interested, connect to the server in my sig. I'm Jason there when I'm online.
Why the hell can't my signature be empty?
"Your message contains too few characters."
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

Jason wrote:xevanx, I will even voulenteer mine for the chore. Ill set up a custom javachat for you too if you want. If your interested, connect to the server in my sig. I'm Jason there when I'm online.
I already have 2 java chats :P
xevanx

Post by xevanx »

yeah, i understand but i dunno i kinda want to run my own and be an operator n stuff.. is it really that hard to learn? i mean i know java and html i just dont know where to go to learn how to create and manage my own server you know?

And i get what your saying, it isnt woth all the trouble just to talk to my friends but i wanna know how to do it.

so what im asking is, to all you people that do know how to do it, how did you learn how to do it? i mean is there some kinda tutorial or book or website or somthing that can teach you that sort of thing?
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

IIRC, it took me 6+ hours to get everything working. The best tutorial you will get is the Unreal documentation, located in the docs folder, or http://www.vulnscan.org
Solutech

Post by Solutech »

THe best option is start off running a room on someone elses server first. Running your own when you have little idea is not a good idea . I spent days trawling for info on setting up when I started . Im a pc tech by trade and I got confused lol . Before I had even got the idea for my own server I had been on irc for about 18mths and had modded,opped and admined a chatspace server I used to frequent . I downloaded unreal and havent looked back . Ive had unreal up for about 2 years now and im still learning . If you really want a server then read the docs and have a go . Take a look at all the commands you have as a netadmin when its running and ask yourself do I know what these do ? . If not then maybe you need to spend some time on servers with people until you do .
Yawn. So there's yet another "if the user clicks the button, they're infected" exploit. Why is this news? We already know users are idiots.