Version Command

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Ares

Version Command

Post by Ares »

I've got a question.

I've noticed that when you are logged on as an IRCop that the normal /version command retrieves some system server information instead of doing the usual /version nick to get user information.

Could someone explain to me what is going on and how exactly should an IRCop perform a normal /version command to retrieve user info?

Just curious. Knowledge is power. :wink:
- Ares
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

'/version nick' to get "user information" is not an Unreal command, must be your client then. Standard mIRC does not have this btw.

The '/version' or '/version server' command is indeed an Unreal command and gives information about the server/os/library versions
Ares

Post by Ares »

My version of mirc does, and always has, supported this command. Its been a while, but i believe i scripted it into an alias a long time ago.

In fact, i have special scripts written for the handling of such a command and they work fine when i am not an IRCOP. When i give myself ircop privilages the command doesnt work because its intercepted by the servers version command. So i guess there's no work around this unless i script one to go around the server command, huh?

Well thanks, Syzop, for the reply. I'll dig around this one a little further and create a work-around. If i don't, it will bother me to death!
- Ares
Solutech

Post by Solutech »

/ctcp NICK version ought to do what you want :) works on my mirc scripts .

Change your /version alias to /uversion .

That ought to shift it ;)
Yawn. So there's yet another "if the user clicks the button, they're infected" exploit. Why is this news? We already know users are idiots.