mozilla firefox vs iexplore poll

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

Wich is fast/more secure/stable and better for use ?

Mozilla Firefox
83%
Windows Internet Explorer
17%

Total votes: 30

[UnDeRTaKeR]

mozilla firefox vs iexplore poll

Post by [UnDeRTaKeR] »

hi there,
in this forums there are a lot of people highly qualified to make a poll
on this subject...
this is a doubt I've having from a long time ago, since the mozilla
for linux, and now the firefox has seen light, I would like to know your
opinions...
comments appreciated...
Mark

Post by Mark »

Never used Firefox, so can't vote on it.

Maybe add Opera to the poll?

(IE sucks :p so Firefox anyway)
[UnDeRTaKeR]

Post by [UnDeRTaKeR] »

yeah, I could add opera, but I use firefox/opera
so, firefox its like opera,
the thing is against iexplore... :P
Mark

Post by Mark »

In that case, I'll vote for Firefox ;)

IE isn't secure at all, we all know that by now.. IE isn't the most stable thing either, it crashes more in a weeks time then my Opera has in 3 years.
JIVXor

Post by JIVXor »

Then I'm asking you a question Mark :

What OS do you run?

Please don't answer. Just think about your browser's choose and your OS. Are compatible?

Internet Explorer is a small attached application to the best software of the world. In addition, do you're self a simple recursive-answer question :

Why Microsoft is catalogued a monopoly?

Answer : Because they have a HUGE amount of money.

Why do they have a huge amount of money?

Answer : Because they are the FIRSTS in the market.

And here's the happy/logical endess : errors are part of the market

By the way : Give me the best security addict of the world and I will take a LOT of errors to his/her browser's configuration, not me, I am a jackass in the subject, anybody can do that.

For me this is a matter of taste, the application stops being safe at the moment that the user corrupts its configuration, then depends on the user to use it or not with his/her pleasures.
I like Linux. I run Linux on two of my servers, but I cannot deny, that does not arrive to Windows at the heels in developing plataforms. Is my point of view.
[UnDeRTaKeR]

Post by [UnDeRTaKeR] »

last time I checked firefox was under windows...
I think is still that way...?
:P
[UnDeRTaKeR]

Post by [UnDeRTaKeR] »

JIv:
we can take the use of windows so lightly because neither of us pay a cent
for it..
try buying every soft you run, and paying +130 dollares for a OS where
we can only wait for more money be taken away from us...
thats my point, in a future, well have to begin paying the bills to Microsoft
and I assure you, we wont like it...
this people, if anyone of them uses IE, have 100 reasons more than you
to like they browser, because it cost them money,
firefox is free... it will by only certified by its features...
said that, let it be a fair fight :P
JIVXor

Post by JIVXor »

From the official site :

Mozilla Firefox es un navegador web del proyecto Mozilla. El objetivo de Firefox es desarrollar un nuevo navegador para el conjunto Mozilla suite
(...............)
Del mismo modo que Mozilla Suite, Firefox es multiplataforma, utiliza el lenguaje de interfaz XUL y es software libre.

Things that will have some interesting for non-spanish peoples are :

Mozilla Firefox is a Web browser of the Mozilla project. The objective of Firefox is to develop to a new navigator for the Mozilla set suite.
(............... )
In the same way that Mozilla Suite, Firefox is multiplatform, uses the language of interface XUL and is OPEN SOURCE

I think Mark will read very good this ---> **OPEN SOURCE**.
And corresponds to UnDeRTaKeR(well I think all the block :P).

PD : Oh I forgot, UnDeRTaKeR : If you don´t make payments to RedHat they do not give support to you, that is a very simple example, I can write you here thousands. FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Debian . . . and so so so many Open(illusion) Source OS.
[UnDeRTaKeR]

Post by [UnDeRTaKeR] »

its the human nature, and a necessity for have a life, to wish be paid for
your job,
but never compare the red hat payment with the windows hijack,
the firefox project indeed is a open source, I cant see the con there?
thats one of its high points...
OPEN SOURCE like u said, is just FINE :P
JIVXor

Post by JIVXor »

Now this is taking the off subject way, you're so human, but I gonna do the same question to you :

What OS do you run?

Thanks, I know. WINBUGS or better WINDOW$.

Why you use Windows if it´s so un/secure/stable ?

or much better

On wich OS do you develop ?

Thanks I know.

Please some moderator that take a look/lock of this. I'm saying/writing, it's just a matter of taste .
[UnDeRTaKeR]

Post by [UnDeRTaKeR] »

JIVXor wrote:Now this is taking the off subject way, you're so human, .
?

well anyway, I use it because I have to, *and*
just for the pleasure of remembering that I am spending microsoft money..
well anyway,
this is the offtopic session, and I remember the offtopic subject was
brought by you...
ok ok... :P
Mark

Post by Mark »

JIVXor wrote:Then I'm asking you a question Mark :

What OS do you run?

Please don't answer. Just think about your browser's choose and your OS. Are compatible?
Don't answer? I will though, Ubuntu.
Internet Explorer is a small attached application to the best software of the world. In addition, do you're self a simple recursive-answer question :

Why Microsoft is catalogued a monopoly?

Answer : Because they have a HUGE amount of money.
And that means every user HAS to use their software? No.
Why do they have a huge amount of money?
Answer : Because they are the FIRSTS in the market.
Yes, true.
And here's the happy/logical endess : errors are part of the market

By the way : Give me the best security addict of the world and I will take a LOT of errors to his/her browser's configuration, not me, I am a jackass in the subject, anybody can do that.
Of course every program has security holes in it.
But as you said, Microsoft is the biggest in the browser-market at the moment. So, people with bad intentions will write exploits and such for IE, because they can harm most people then.
For me this is a matter of taste, the application stops being safe at the moment that the user corrupts its configuration, then depends on the user to use it or not with his/her pleasures.
I like Linux. I run Linux on two of my servers, but I cannot deny, that does not arrive to Windows at the heels in developing plataforms. Is my point of view.
Ask any working in the IT sector. I bet at least 80% says IE shouldn't be used, for various reasons. Number one being the security.
Pounce184

Post by Pounce184 »

I prefer Firefox to Internet Explorer, it has more features and is a little friendlier.
JIVXor

Post by JIVXor »

2 things and I'm off of this thread :

1- Ubuntu? FireFox run under Ubuntu? Let me know please.

2- Then I guess when FireFox knock IE and 80% of the world use FireFox, then the cannons will rotate to this aplication.

You guys don't see my point of view, I like all opensource aplications for security reasons, but FOR DEVELOP, until *NIX/Linux desktops trigger a HUGE change, I'll use Micro$oft aplications.

PD : A little question :

Could someone of you please, give me more than one reason to leave Visual Studio .NET and begin onto MONO/Linux in develop for example? Sorry about the off subject, is just an example to make me understand.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

On opensource..
(something [UnDeRTaKeR] also kinda brought up).

That's one of these things I've been thinking about (all just theoretical)... imagine a world without software piracy, so you could not run software you did not buy..

Now.. would so many people (home users) still use adobe photoshop?
Or would they be (forced or not) use the GIMP ? [well there are other alternatives of course, but..]
If many people (especially, the bit more experienced users [but probably not diehards, if they got $$$]) would be using GIMP, maybe it would improve more and more too... Causing more users to switch, etc etc...
Just as an example...

It's one of the ironies (well, or not)... if piracy would be impossible, open source is suddenly a lot more attractive ;).

Of course, I don't think it will be possible anytime soon (if at all), but it was just a "what if" story... Some things would be quite different then.

On IE vs FF security..

Yes, FF is better at security (though, by far perfect).. Why? Well, for example, it does not have this ugly thing called "activex" which is constantly abused (read: exploited).
If you ignore the activex bugs in IE, I'm not sure if either FF or IE is much better at the rest, I did not research it (of course my feeling says FF is better, but I don't have the facts).
I'll also leave the discussion about "time to fix a bug" in FF vs IE to others, personally I'm kinda dissapointed because I see only small difference [*], but maybe with the new auto-upgrade (binarydiff) functionality of FF 1.5* it will get better :).
But one thing's for sure.. FF does not have activex, which fixes tons of issues already.

My primary reason for using FF is therefore security.

As for Opera, I haven't tried that, but I'm not so sure the IE vs FF story is much different than IE vs Opera.

[*] For both it usually takes like 1-3 months to fix an issue on average, though.. microsoft is of course notorious for having some bugs in existence for more than 1 year. If I would grab stats, I presume IE will be quite worse on avg versus FF, but in my opinion FF should become much better than it is now ;)[/size]