Windows, Unix, or Linux?

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

Windows, Linux or Unix?

Windows
46%
Linux
38%
Unix
15%

Total votes: 26

Bricker

Windows, Unix, or Linux?

Post by Bricker »

Windows owns all other operating systems and NO ONE has anything bad to say about windows because its the following

Stable
Inexpensive
User Friendly
Configurable
All over amazing operating system

Linux and Unix etc = t3h suck right?
-Bricker-
McTerry

Post by McTerry »

Yeah! :P
BOOM!
Brik

Post by Brik »

Hell yeah! :D
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

I like Linux because it may be difficult to configure sometimes, but once you get it going it can be the most stable thing ever. And configureing is as easy as RTFM! Unix (such as BSD's) I have always found a pain in the ass. People always tell me BSD's are so much better, and I Have tried to use at least 3 different BSD's. None worked, while all my Linux distros work with no problem.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

I don't think you are asking the correct question in the poll... Windows, Linux or UNIX.. well.. it depends!
Windows on the desktop (for now), for servers (and software development).... definately *NIX ;).
tdw

Post by tdw »

What syzop sais.
Really, i want to have linux, the problem is ..
I wanna play my games
WITHOUT STUPID NONSENSE

i would enjoy linux more if i had a faster server.

(The command line ownz windows total so)
Nazzy

Post by Nazzy »

*pats his nice gentoo desktop running kde on the physical desktop and afterstep on Xvnc*
siyavash

Post by siyavash »

I have been using Windows Server 2003 a couple of years. It is great and I can't complain. :shock: :D
Pounce184

Post by Pounce184 »

I like Windows, but I would have to say I like Linux a little better.
Matridom

Re: Windows, Unix, or Linux?

Post by Matridom »

Bricker wrote:Windows owns all other operating systems and NO ONE has anything bad to say about windows because its the following

Stable
Inexpensive
All over amazing operating system

Hunh?

I mean, windows is one of the more expensive operating systems out there. I'm sure if you actualy paid for a copy, you would understand, SPECIALY when you get into the server class versions.

Stable? again, i need to laugh at this,

Same computer, same UPS (a personal box of mine):
windows = 9 weeks uptime
Linux = 90 weeks uptime

When it comes down to it, i have to agree with syzop. Linux is a better server OS, windows a better desktop OS.
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Bricker

Post by Bricker »

well for 1 Matridom I happen to own a computer company so all of my copies are legal, so yes I do know the prices so don't talk out of your ass. #2 Stable? its only unstable if you make it that way. I've been able to run windows servers just as long as linux, just because your personal experience sucked doesn't mean the OS sucks.

oh and btw this whole topic was sort of a joke. I love Unix and Linux. I am running mutliple servers with different distros etc. ;)

Syzop again is right.

I do prefer Linux/Unix for Servers and windows for desktop. but windows servers aren't all that suck :D
-Bricker-
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

Windows servers aren't bad at all. Of 2 Windos servers I have had, they didn't crash, and they always had high uptime. The only reason my servers go down is power-related problems. Currently my Windows server has been up 307 days. My Linux server has been up 87 days, and that is only because the UPS was unintentionally shut off...
Matridom

Post by Matridom »

Bricker wrote:well for 1 Matridom I happen to own a computer company so all of my copies are legal, so yes I do know the prices so don't talk out of your ass. #2 Stable? its only unstable if you make it that way. I've been able to run windows servers just as long as linux, just because your personal experience sucked doesn't mean the OS sucks.

oh and btw this whole topic was sort of a joke. I love Unix and Linux. I am running mutliple servers with different distros etc. ;)

Syzop again is right.

I do prefer Linux/Unix for Servers and windows for desktop. but windows servers aren't all that suck :D

Well, it seems i may have offended that was never my intent to be insutling. I've looked at software prices, and i see price tags that are in the thousands for the the windows servers, i compare that to free for linux, and it becomes plainly obvious that windows has a fairly high cost in comparison, specialy for home/home office users that i deal with as part of my business.

The vast majority of people who i deal with, who say windows is cheap are people who end up with illegal copies, wether by choice or not (yes i know gulible people who bought an illegal windows thinking it was legit).

The only thing i find that windows servers are good at is for user management (aka, Active Directories) and the scope of options that you can set for users. Seeing as companies like Novell now integrating active directories into it's linux distrobution of netware, i think we may see novell regain the lead.. who knows.

Since i obviously missed the irony in your post, let's just leave this at a misunderstanding.
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Bricker

Post by Bricker »

heh i wasn't offended. well maybe a bit but yeah *shrugs* i apologize. and Stealth was right. all my issues are related to shitty power grids around here and not having a backup generator yet :-/

Also windows may be a bit expensive, but if you think about all the time put into it, all the support they give you weather its over the phone, email or online etc they're not doing such a bad job. I agree Linux and Unix being free is a very wonderful thing, but iirc I've seen Linux charge for their product and iirc it was quite expensive

anywho main reason we're all talking about this is because so many bad mouth windows none stop and it ultimatly isn't windows fault(in some cases it is) and people need to realize its a USER error. not windows error ;)

oh and Windows ME was the WORST distro they put out ever! windows 95, 98 awesome. I didn't care for 98SE so much. NT 4.0 Workstation and server I love, as well as Win2k Server/Pro/Adanced Server and exchange

windows XP Pro is nice, I don't care for XP Home all that much, and don't care for Windows 2003 although I havn't used it in a few years and I'm sure they fixed some stuff from when it was on prerelease ;)

Current Configuration:

Windows XP Professional (Desktop)
Windows 2000 Professional (Test Computer)
Gentoo 2.6 (Server)
Windows 2000 Server (Old Server, new Test Server)
FreeBSD 6.0 (Test Server)
FreeBSD 6.0 (Router, Firewall)
Windows XP Professional (Undecided)
-Bricker-
Matridom

Post by Matridom »

I'm across the board also with my operating systems.

I have win2k3 on the desktop
one laptop uses xp pro (high end laptop)
the other low end laptop uses ubuntu
and the webserver/ircd server uses debian

I like a lot of the options that 2k3 gives me, but it has issues for some of the applications i try to run on it (ya, i know it's not a gaming OS) so i'm probably going to rebuild the whole network structure, specialy with the new server box i'm getting. (anything is an upgrade from a celeron 633)