Channel's Chat History - Is It Possible?

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
dasgar

Channel's Chat History - Is It Possible?

Post by dasgar »

Does anyone know of a way to configure a persistent channel in a way that would allow a user to join the channel and be able to view a history of the chats that have been taking place prior to that user joining the channel? It's a feature that would allow a user to join a channel and get an opportunity to get caught up on the conversations that are in progress without having to ask someone to bring them up to speed on everything that had been said.

Also, is there anyway to "log" a channel's activities (the messages from all of its users) on the server-side or is this a function only available in clients?
Grunt

Post by Grunt »

IRCDs don't really log such information, because it's such a huge chunk of it, so it would eat a lot of memory.

You could try modifying the source, but of course, as you may know, you will lose support, and you will also probably make it crash.

For such a thing, you should try a bot that logs the channel chat, something like this: log all lines, and delete lines that are recorded and are more than 5 minutes older. But even with such a bot, memory consumption will be quite high on large and active channels.
Computers are machines that cause trouble you wouldn't normally have if you wouldn't have a computer.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

*nod*

This is btw, exactly a module I considered writing over a year ago (commercially ;p), because I find it an interesting idea. But then controled with a channelmode to toggle it on/off ;).
Never actually did it though.. Just ideas ;p
TheCrowX

Post by TheCrowX »

but if i m not wrong that module is against privacy it will ollow the netadmin to be able to read what ppl are talking about
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Hm? With my idea, the channel mode, the chanops (or even better: channel owner/founder) could choose wheter to enable it or not.
Of course, if a netadmin for some reason would force it to be enabled on all channels, then yes.. but if you have such stupid opers, you should just go to another network, which.. many users would do ;).
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

I don't think it would be too hard to have a bot join channels and log to a web directory... Just have the bot join the channels that want the logging, and make it limited to how much it will store in its web thingie.
dasgar

Post by dasgar »

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Crow:
I understand the privacy issue that you pointed out, but I don't think that it will apply in my situation. I'm using Unreal on a system at work for my group, which has less than 20 people in it, and we'll be using it for only work related information sharing. Although a valid concern, I believe that I ignore that concern in my scenario. Thanks for pointing it though.

Stealth:
I like your idea because it's very similar to an idea that I had after my original post. Rather than using a "web" host of some sort, I was wondering if its feasible to have a bot "record" a short time's (say 5 minutes) worth of chat into one of the motd files, which I really won't be using anyways. This would allow a user to who connects to grab a snippet of the chat's history without (hopefully) too much of the server's resources being gobbled up by the bot. Any thoughts on that or I'm I completely misunderstanding the motd files and bots?

Also, can someone give me some pointers to docs/info on creating bots? I think that I understand the general concept of what a bot is, but I'm not sure about how to create one. Unless I'm looking in the wrong places, I couldn't find anything on bot creation how-to's in Unreal user document or these forums.

Again, thanks for all of the feedback. You all have confirmed some of my suspicions and given me some food for thought. Now its time for more research and testing.
Matridom

Post by Matridom »

for creating bots there are several choices, mainly depending on what you know.

Eggdrops are very popular, i personaly have never tried them.

I currently use a php script that logs into the chat, acts as a bot and provides several services to help relate data from the mysql server database and monitoring of problematic users.
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
w00t

Post by w00t »

I'm actually working on an idea involving a kind of extended BNC which will involve some client-side integration [have been talking with Theo from Bersirc]-

I just need to find the time, and motivation to work on it :)
-ChatSpike IRC Network [http://www.chatspike.net]
-Denora Stats [http://denora.nomadirc.net]
-Omerta [http://www.barafranca.com]
sdamon

Post by sdamon »

heh, a little late but the origional idea is unpheasable cause of sendque limit and such...get 2 or 3 channels with a back log of more than 40 - 50 lines...BOOM killed...

ALSO..this would require either the client to run a script...or a rework of the irc arcitecture.

eggdrop has PLENTY of loging scripts and such...and iirc there is a service module for neostats 2.x that does it...dont think its being ported to the 3.x tree though