What distro do you suggest?

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
SKoRM

What distro do you suggest?

Post by SKoRM »

First of all, I'm SKoRM, I'm new to these forums. I'm not quite sure if I'm posting this in the right forums, so moderators, feel free to move. I've been using unreal ircd for most of my ircd'ing life. Simply, I find it the best, the good modes/commands and simplicty of it rocks. At the moment I'm running my web server and unreal under windows 2000 server, but I would like to run these 2 applications on a *nix distro. My webserver is simple apache, which I know can run on nearly all *nix distros easily. Basicly, I'm just wondering, what distro's would you's suggest, preferbly, a small, light weight *nix. It would also be nice if there was a tutorial on installing it on the os, as I'm not to good with *nix, but it isn't required. Thanks :>.
XFNet - A better place...
irc.thefloatingisle.net / irc.skorm.aus.cc
irc.destructivechaos.com / irc.north-winds.org
core

Post by core »

Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

I have been running Unreal on RedHat 9 and Fedora Core 3 for a few years now, no problems. I recommend Fedora Core 5, as it is the newest release of the OS and has the most up to date libraries (FC3's libraries are mostly the same as RH9's)
Dukat

Post by Dukat »

Yeah, I suggest Fedora or Red Hat, too. You could also use CentOS ("free" version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux).

(Debian isn't a good choice for beginners, I think. Plus it's often old -> very annoying if you are running a webserver.)
If you don't make mistakes, you aren't really trying.
- Coleman Hawkins
SKoRM

Post by SKoRM »

Thank's for the reply's. All seem good, but I still think a Fedora is a fairly large distro just for a simple ircd to be running on it or does it have a "compact" install feature.
XFNet - A better place...
irc.thefloatingisle.net / irc.skorm.aus.cc
irc.destructivechaos.com / irc.north-winds.org
Matridom

Post by Matridom »

I'm liking debian/ubuntu for my linux's.

My IRCD is currently running Debian "etch" without any problems.

I ran Sarge for 2 years without a reboot of the server :)

Ubuntu is based on debian and is very very friendly to new users and it's often updated.
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Jason

Post by Jason »

I run all my stuff on FreeBSD. Preferably 6.1-RELEASE. (current release version)

It works wonderfully for me

I keep my network's hub, two services packages, bopm, and statserv all running on it. Works great. (I also have multiple FreeBSD leaves.)
Why the hell can't my signature be empty?
"Your message contains too few characters."