Restarting server... too many select errors

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Atomiku

Restarting server... too many select errors

Post by Atomiku »

I'm not too sure what the problem is but heres a log of what went happened:

Code: Select all

[09:29] -atomiku.hopto.org- *** Notice -- Maximum connections: 10 (10 clients)
-
[09:29] -atomiku.hopto.org- *** Notice -- Maximum connections: 20 (20 clients)
-
[09:29] -atomiku.hopto.org- *** Notice -- Maximum connections: 30 (30 clients)
-
[09:30] -atomiku.hopto.org- select atomiku.hopto.org[*]:No buffer space available
-
[09:30] -atomiku.hopto.org- select atomiku.hopto.org[*]:No buffer space available
-
-
-
-
-
[09:30] -atomiku.hopto.org- *** Notice -- Aieeeee!!!  Restarting server... too many select errors
And then, the server restarted. I tried changing TcpNumConnections to 1000 in the registry (Yes, I did restart afterwards) but this still happens.
I know it was because of loads of bots connecting. What can I do?
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

I know it will probably helps someone out there to help you so can you give us some versions like which version of UnrealIRCd and which operating system and version.
White_Magic

Post by White_Magic »

wot is the specifcations of the shell the ircd is running on?
i spend 4 hrs a day gaming and 14hrs on irc, for 5days a week, im not an addict :D
Atomiku

Post by Atomiku »

The server (3.2.5) is running on Windows Professional SP2
1.2ghz, 512mb ram, 10mbit internet connection...
White_Magic

Post by White_Magic »

the last time i saw a case like this, was in dutch and syzop answered it saying its not unrealircds problem, which i quiet blieve myself, as mirc gets the same error msg and its normally coz the ram is all used up or blocked off.

are u running any thing else besides unreal on it? like mirc (or any other program that can use ram to store data)
i spend 4 hrs a day gaming and 14hrs on irc, for 5days a week, im not an addict :D
Atomiku

Post by Atomiku »

Well, yes I run ALOT of programs on this computer. BUT... I'm not sure if its a problem with not having enough ram or anything.
White_Magic

Post by White_Magic »

run msinfo32.exe and after its loaded u`ll see how much " free memory " there is
Atomiku

Post by Atomiku »

White_Magic wrote:run msinfo32.exe and after its loaded u`ll see how much " free memory " there is
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to get me to do, But as I said, I think theres plenty of unused memory left while the server is running.
White_Magic

Post by White_Magic »

im giving u a method to check the amount of ram that is currently free on the system so u can make sure there IS sufficent ram free.

:)
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Ok instructions on how to check:

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type msinfo32.exe
4. Click OK
5. Wait
6. Wait
7. Check down where it says on the right hand side "Available Physical Memory"

Which makes me ask on my own home computer why out of 512MB i only have 89.25MB free? :?
Atomiku

Post by Atomiku »

Ahh, well. It is possible that there might have been insufficent physical ram, but I know for SURE that there was plenty of free memory on the virtual ram/page file. That should be okay should it?

And if its not, I guess I'll need some sort of program to reserve enough physical ram for unreal. (Which I guess can be done... I might google it later)

Anyway, I'm still open to suggestions...
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

As far as i am aware Unreal requires physical memory because of the number of reads and writes it does all the time and due to the nature of the data it holds. So your best bet is to sort something out to reserve more physical memory for Unreal.
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

Just a reply back, I am using unrealircd on windows XP SP2, it is set as a service and only takes up about 6megs of mem. Finding out how much mem is uses , simply right click on the taskbar, Select Taskmanager, click on the processes tab and that will tell you what unrealircd is using for mem.

Click on the performance tab and see what total memory is being used. That should give you and idea.

Hope this helps :lol:
Atomiku

Post by Atomiku »

Spectre wrote:Just a reply back, I am using unrealircd on windows XP SP2, it is set as a service and only takes up about 6megs of mem. Finding out how much mem is uses , simply right click on the taskbar, Select Taskmanager, click on the processes tab and that will tell you what unrealircd is using for mem.

Click on the performance tab and see what total memory is being used. That should give you and idea.

Hope this helps :lol:
How do I set unrealirc to run as a service? I have a feeling this may solve the problem. Dunno why though. I'd rather have it running as a service anyway.
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

When you first install unreal, there is an option there that you check to make it run as a service. Check that.