how to secure my server now

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
eddie

how to secure my server now

Post by eddie »

hi forum people! i was wondering how to make sure that i protect my server? to prevent people from obtaining unauthorized access to it... i don't know a lot about this stuff so i'm not sure. is there something from the example.conf that has a backdoor or password that people could use to get admin access i wonder?

what should I do yeah

eddie.
Last edited by eddie on Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpaceDoG

Post by SpaceDoG »

There are no *known* backdoors to unreal. The only way that someone could get admin access is if you installed a 3rd part module that gives them access to your server. Just make sure that you use ip/host restrictions for opers and you should be ok on the actual IRC side of the house.
eddie

Post by eddie »

i did restrict the ip address range for opers but even after i did that i had another problem. if I was deoped or if i left the channel i no longer had op access. it was not easy to figure out how to combat this problem so i was wondering if any other problems exist.

eddie.
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Losing Channel op status is a common IRC problem not related to any specific IRCd. There are a few ways to ensure you maintain channel ops in your channel. The main ways are to if possible register the channel with ChanServ or an equivelent on the network, use a bot (not reccomended as they can sometimes be taken over) or get a group of friends together so there can be at least one of them in the channel at all times.

The best option if it is available is registering the channel with ChanServ or eqivilent.

There are other problems relating to channelops like this. For example if you were to op someone on a channel that you didn't know or trust and they were then to deop everyone else in the channel. All they would need to do then is run a properly configured bot and the channel would be theirs.
SpaceDoG

Post by SpaceDoG »

Basically what Jobe is trying to say is install a services program such as Anope or IRCServices.
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

SpaceDoG wrote:Basically what Jobe is trying to say is install a services program such as Anope or IRCServices.
Thank You. :)

LOL

Yeah your safest option is a services program such as Anope or IRCServices.

Personally i would reccomend Anope.
eddie

Post by eddie »

all right. i have anope installed and the services are running. i registered the channel with chanserv. how do i use this registering to ensure security?

eddie.
SpaceDoG

Post by SpaceDoG »

eddie,

What kind of security are you refering to? If you're talking about maintaining channel op status just make sure your nick is registered and you identify before you join the room. You can also type /chanserv set #channel secureops on (that will keep people who are on chanserv's access list for that room from getting ops). For more help I recommend checking the anope website and forums located at http://www.anope.org