Windows IRC Dedicated Servers / VPS

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

Casey

Windows IRC Dedicated Servers / VPS

Post by Casey »

I am looking for a Windows Dedicated Server that does let you have the IRC Server on it and it can be linked to others.

Looking at around the 100 or so dollar mark.

Having the DCC Sending disabled to not have the Warez File Sharing on it.

and also that can handle having Services and BOPM (or something like that) attached to it aswell with 1000 users.

-- won't be 1000 users that will be on the Server - that can handle the load

Who are the good ones for around that cost that can handle about 1000 users with Services and BOPM on the Server ?
Last edited by Casey on Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Just for reference an IRCd cannot stop DCC file transfers. Simply because the nature or DCC completly avoids the IRCd. DCC is direct client to client connections so if an IRCd goes down a DCC chat or a DCC file transfer will still continue as long as both IRC clients envolved are still running.
Casey

Post by Casey »

The deny DCC with * for the filename to stop all files from sending
Casey

Post by Casey »

I was looking at Cari.net but IRC is not allowed on them
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

The Deny DCC only stops the CTCP message that kicks of DCC it doesnt actually stop DCC.
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

Jobe1986 wrote:The Deny DCC only stops the CTCP message that kicks of DCC it doesnt actually stop DCC.
Without the CTCP message, it is very difficult to initiate a DCC. That message contains the proper IP and port for the second person to connect to. Most clients (if not all) rely on this message to initiate the DCC, so if it does not go through, the only way for a client to get a DCC going is to create their own DCC client and initiate it manually. In that case, it is no longer a DCC, it's a normal PTP connection
Casey

Post by Casey »

What sort of Specs would you need for Server - Services - BOPM (or something like that) - and 1000 users ?

Running on Windows Server 2003

Celeron 1.7GHz with 512 RAM -- 500GB Monthly Transfer
Pentium 4 2.4GHz with 512 RAM -- 500GB Monthly Transfer
Celeron D 2.8GHz with 1GB RAM -- 1000GB Monthly Transfer
sChutt

Post by sChutt »

Really depends what kinda users it'll be.

1000 users all idling in 1 channel requires zero power.
1000 users spread across a couple a dozen channel actively chatting plus a few bots etc etc requires quite a bit of power...

I ran 250 active users spread across +/-20 channels plus services an a dual PentiumPro 200MHz with 1/2GB ram (Proliant 800 6/200) without problems. Then again, that box did run on BSD...

- sChutt
Casey

Post by Casey »

According to that - I guess the Celeron 1.7GHz with 512 RAM will be fine for all that
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

It all varies... There are plenty of topics on there about resource and bandwidth usage.

It primarily depends on these factors:
Users
Servers
Channels
Private Messages
Connects/Disconnects
Commands sent
User activity

I have had less than 12 users use over 100MB/day, but as little as 1 MB/day. My box is Linux with 256 RAM and ~1.6GHz, runs perfectly fine (load averages usually never larger than 0.02). I run Unreal, Anope, BOPM, and an AI bot (written in python).
White_Magic

Post by White_Magic »

i ran a server on XP pro, with 500 users with 5 mirc bots 1 bopm at the same time, 512 1ghz 120hdd, had no problems :)
i spend 4 hrs a day gaming and 14hrs on irc, for 5days a week, im not an addict :D
Casey

Post by Casey »

Thank You for that of what it runs on.

I found Aplus for Dedicated Servers and in the Introduction to Dedicated Web Hosting, it was talking about IRC and it sounded like you could run an IRC Server on Aplus and in the AUP it doesn't really say anything about IRC on it.

I sent Aplus a message if you could run an IRC Server and they say you are not allowed to.
Casey

Post by Casey »

What about any Windows VPS places aswell ?