Anyone ever have this happen on their network?

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

droolin

Anyone ever have this happen on their network?

Post by droolin »

Our network is small but we are a happy crew most of the time. We have two web sites we maintain with one of them having pictures of everyone that chats their. Even if they are part time chatters, we are happy to post their picture. Just makes it a little more personal.
I had one of my opers come to me last night and tell me this chatter we have had problems with off and on over the years was using her husbands picture and saying it was her. She caught him red handed she told me. It happened. ;o(
Now, personally. I'd like to shove my foot up this dweeds butt so far he taistes my shoe leather when he licks his lips. But, my question is.
Has anyone else had this happen? If so, what did you do?
Yes, Im going to go through all the pictures today and disable right click.
But, man. Everone loved having their pictures posted. Like I said, it just made things much more personal when you was yacking.
Man, this just irritates me to no end.

droolin
Hornyness is a perpetual thang. The hornier you are, the hornier your going to be.
Solutech

Post by Solutech »

So she was using his nick and pretending to be him ? . Had similar in a chatroom I used to go to with a guy who was a big time idiot . He was using another chatters nick as he was in her house . We caught him out as he was an ace on the trivbot and she wasnt . Bit suspicious when her nick started blitzing the triv room . Earned em both a temp ban .
Yawn. So there's yet another "if the user clicks the button, they're infected" exploit. Why is this news? We already know users are idiots.
droolin

ack, I just read that message again.

Post by droolin »

He used the girls husband's picture, and was using his nick. That is how we posted the pictures. She caught him red handed passing the picture of her husband off as himself.
I basicatly looked this guy up on messengar, told him he was a total twit and that I was feeding him to my animal opers for their fun. Then set a perm ban on him. This guy has been constant trouble or else I would never have set a perm ban.
I only put up with so much crap though, and this guy was a constant pain in my errrr.... neck.

droolin
Hornyness is a perpetual thang. The hornier you are, the hornier your going to be.
Stormy

Post by Stormy »

maybe it's me, but this sounds contradictory:
using her husbands picture and saying it was her.
She caught him red handed she told me.
so who was using who's picture?
And
Who caught who?
And
why is this surprising?
When you're online you have no idea who anyone is unless you see him/her every day.
:shock:
droolin

I really need to learn to type

Post by droolin »

It was, using her husbands picture. And saying it was him.

This person was just too stupid to know it was her husband, and was using it when he was talking to her. Thats how she caught him.

Dan
White_Magic

Post by White_Magic »

hi, I dont think you should stop the picture posting thing - disabling the right click would also be one soulation.

It mite be better to make the pictures appear as an avatar on a set of forums,this way theres no worry about " picture stealing " and it`ll encourage more yacking :)
i spend 4 hrs a day gaming and 14hrs on irc, for 5days a week, im not an addict :D
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Unfortunatly there is no way to prevent stealing an image from a website unless you use referer protection on the image. The reason i say this is i know of a javascript expression you can use to disable right click protection.

Also even if you use referer protection you can still copy the image out of your tempory internet files folder. So there is no way to stop image theft by the determined.
Last edited by Jobe on Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White_Magic

Post by White_Magic »

um, im no website guru but, - isnt it alot harder to take a avatar picture than a picture on a website?
i spend 4 hrs a day gaming and 14hrs on irc, for 5days a week, im not an addict :D
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

And if you really want to you can always take a screen shot.
Jason

Post by Jason »

No. It is equally easy to take any picture from any website. I can steal a forum avatar with the exact same procedure and ease as a picture off a website. Thing about forum avatars is, if you see a picture suddenly on a different name than it's usually on, you know something is up.
Why the hell can't my signature be empty?
"Your message contains too few characters."