Config

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
CrashOverride

Config

Post by CrashOverride »

Hello

I just recently got my IRCD server up and running, But i am having a issue i cant figure out , i set up my oper block and when i try to op myself in mirc, it says that i am now an irc operator, however it doesnt op me in any of the channles.....i will put the oper block here.and also if someone would be willing to help me one on one it would be great

oper Andy {
class clients;
from {
userhost *@*;
};
password "passhere";
flags {
netadmin;
can_zline;
can_gzline;
can_gkline;
global;
};
};
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

Bein an oper does not make you an op in all the channels.

Opers are not gods.

I think you need to learn more about IRC...
White_Magic

Post by White_Magic »

an Oper is a Server Operator, thus as stealth says, does not make give u ops in all channels, you may add the can_override flag to your oper block to op yourself in channels but this is not the point of it....

Also, if u do set the can_override flag, you WONT Need to be opped in every channel becuz can_override allows u to use channel commands without ops (amongst other things..)
i spend 4 hrs a day gaming and 14hrs on irc, for 5days a week, im not an addict :D
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Personally the only legitimate use that can_override has is when services are down and Opers need to maintain as much control as they can. Otherwise it can be abusive.
SpaceDoG

Post by SpaceDoG »

Isn't that why /samode exists?
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

/samode cant kick a user that services would normally kick can it? Admitedly there is /sapart but that doesnt exactly have the same effect as a kick.
CrashOverride

Post by CrashOverride »

Stealth wrote:Bein an oper does not make you an op in all the channels.

Opers are not gods.

Yea i know i am still learning and have a long way to go , however i do thank you for your help.......Can you tell me more about "God" Status? and what that does and how it works..or where to find out about it. Again thanks for your help
White_Magic

Post by White_Magic »

Jobe1986 wrote:Personally the only legitimate use that can_override has is when services are down and Opers need to maintain as much control as they can. Otherwise it can be abusive.
actually thats incorrect...

but this isnt the place to say why :)
i spend 4 hrs a day gaming and 14hrs on irc, for 5days a week, im not an addict :D
White_Magic

Post by White_Magic »

CrashOverride wrote:
Stealth wrote:Bein an oper does not make you an op in all the channels.

Opers are not gods.

Yea i know i am still learning and have a long way to go , however i do thank you for your help.......Can you tell me more about "God" Status? and what that does and how it works..or where to find out about it. Again thanks for your help
there is NO SUCH THING as god status, people like to think opers are gods on irc, but they are not and u must remember this - if someone trys to be god, they want to abuse something... it is simple.
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

The sort of oper who goes around thinking of themself as god because they're an oper are the sort of person if you've got any sense not to have on your team of opers.

Personally the moment any of my oeprs showed an attitude like that id have a talk with them and if it continued would remove their O:Line.
CrashOverride

got ya

Post by CrashOverride »

Yea I hear ya........this is just a learning project for me, trying out diffrent irc servers, however i do want to keep one up and running.
JanisB

Post by JanisB »

/raw godmode on :)))

Personally I, when our services are gone, do //samode #chan +qo $me $me (aliased as /f7 /samode # +qo $me $me) for chans, where i need to do something and that's all (+o for lame eggdrops, that don't know, what +q is), so, I don't understand, for what opers need can_override flag....
CrashOverride

Admin

Post by CrashOverride »

yea......How do i limit the use of Admin_ Sysop_ on the server and only allow the ops that nick
Dukat

Post by Dukat »

If you don't make mistakes, you aren't really trying.
- Coleman Hawkins
CrashOverride

Thanks

Post by CrashOverride »

Thanks for all the help , i have read the docs a few time but i want to make sure of things, someone has a quote at the end of the tag that says "if you dont make mistakes, your really not trying"
good quote, that waht my experiances have been , trial and error.

Anywho thanks