Connection timed out.

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
dan_seguin90

Connection timed out.

Post by dan_seguin90 »

I have been working on this server for a little bit and teh final problem i am having is that the otehr computers cannot connect to m y server. It can ping to teh ocmputer and all but it will not connect.
I always get a:
Connection Timed out

The weird thing is that this is only happening from this one computer tha ti am on. Well i tried it on another computer and it work but teh timing out only occurs from this computer. If anybody could help me out with this it would be great.

Dan
Grunt

Post by Grunt »

Teh servers are teh firewalled, I think. Or maybe teh otehr computer is behind a router. Or ICMP is disabled.
Computers are machines that cause trouble you wouldn't normally have if you wouldn't have a computer.
dan_seguin90

Connection timed out.

Post by dan_seguin90 »

So lets clarify....
the computer i want to connect to my server IS behind a router. Is this a problem???

The computer my server is on IS behind a network, but not a router.
Is this ok??? For this configuration must i have the people connect to teh network then connect to the server? like is there a way to tell the program to ge tteh people to connect to the network then go in and connec tto the server....
I really do not know... the only thing i do know is that the server can only be connected to by other people on the network. Because i have tried to connect from teh computer behind the router (all firewalls off, it works on otehr peoples servers) and from my computer at home.

Help would be greatlyu apppreciated.

Dan
SpaceDoG

Post by SpaceDoG »

The ports that the server has requested to use in the listen block need to be setup on the router to foward to the server. If the router isn't set to foward those ports then the users connection will just time out or get a "Connection refused" message because the router doesn't know what to do with those incoming connection requests.
dan_seguin90

Foirwarding ports on router/network

Post by dan_seguin90 »

ok i understand that. How do i tell teh network/router to forward incoming connections on port "x" to go to my computer???

This is what i need to do i belive this will make my server work...

ANy help??
SpaceDoG

Post by SpaceDoG »

Well that depends on what type of router you have and whether or not you have physical access to the router/server.
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

dan_seguin90

A good place to start and very informative for routers is listed below. That will help you configure your router for port forwarding.

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/