Connection timed out when i use domain..

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Mr.Pink

Connection timed out when i use domain..

Post by Mr.Pink »

Hi there.. i have a problem with Connection timed out.
if i use irc.domain.com i get this message.
but if i use the ip i can connect :(

can u please tell me where i should search for the solution?!

Thank you
Dukat

Post by Dukat »

Check if the domain resolves to the same IP you are connecting to - most probably it does not.
If you don't make mistakes, you aren't really trying.
- Coleman Hawkins
GhosT

Re: Connection timed out when i use domain..

Post by GhosT »

Mr.Pink wrote:Hi there.. i have a problem with Connection timed out.
if i use irc.domain.com i get this message.
but if i use the ip i can connect :(

can u please tell me where i should search for the solution?!

Thank you
NSLOOKUP irc.domain.com and see if it resolve to your server IP or /dns irc.domain.com (in mIRC) :D if not, check your domain.com DNS zone.
clueless

Post by clueless »

Mine does the same thing but i am still able to connect. They keep saying over MSN that they get the Connection Timed Out message and they even showed me over Remote assistance.

Over Remote assistance i Tried to help connect with my IP(its a risk im willing to take for friends) and they still couldnt connect. I even checked to make sure that the Domain is linked to me and it still doesnt work.

Can you please help me?

Thank you.
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Is the IP you're giving them a 192.168.* IP? If so youll need to give them the external IP of your rouuter.

If it isnt and you are using the external IP of your router you need to make sure port forwarding is set up on the correct ports.
clueless

Post by clueless »

I dont have a router i have Cable. and no im giving a full IP not a 192.168.* IP.
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Does your cable modem connect to your computer via an ethernet cable? or other?
clueless

Post by clueless »

Yes i do believe it's connected via ethernet cable although im not entirly sure. (dad normally sets up the internet stuff)
Jason

Post by Jason »

Just a side comment: A risk you are willing to take, giving out your IP?

You realize that giving out a domain name is the same thing. People can't connect to a domain name, no matter what, ever, under any circumstances. What they can connect to is an IP. Their computer asks the domain servers what IP goes with the domain name. They then connect to that IP.

Whenever you give out a domain that points to your computer, you have given out your IP.
Why the hell can't my signature be empty?
"Your message contains too few characters."
clueless

Post by clueless »

kaaayyyy... but they still cant connect.
clueless

Post by clueless »

still waiting for some help.... =\
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

clueless wrote:Yes i do believe it's connected via ethernet cable although im not entirly sure. (dad normally sets up the internet stuff)
Have you... ehm... I dunno... tried asking your dad?

Because if your dad sets this stuff up, and you're behind a router then you need to put the proper configuration in the router...

You not knowing how you're connected to the internet as well as clearly not knowing a DNS eventually tells people what your IP is, tells me that you have no idea what you're doing other than you got Unreal running (and most likely on Windows). You should learn at least networking basics before attempting to run an IRCd.
clueless

Post by clueless »

Stealth wrote:
clueless wrote:Yes i do believe it's connected via ethernet cable although im not entirly sure. (dad normally sets up the internet stuff)
Have you... ehm... I dunno... tried asking your dad?

Because if your dad sets this stuff up, and you're behind a router then you need to put the proper configuration in the router...

You not knowing how you're connected to the internet as well as clearly not knowing a DNS eventually tells people what your IP is, tells me that you have no idea what you're doing other than you got Unreal running (and most likely on Windows). You should learn at least networking basics before attempting to run an IRCd.

Ok im 98% sure that im using an Ethernet cable because i remember my dad talking about it once.

yes im using Windows but only cause the Mac isnt set up and it doesnt have Internet access.

I know that im connecting and the only reason im able to connect and everyone else isnt is because i connect to the localhost not the DNS.
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

clueless wrote:Ok im 98% sure that im using an Ethernet cable because i remember my dad talking about it once.

yes im using Windows but only cause the Mac isnt set up and it doesnt have Internet access.

I know that im connecting and the only reason im able to connect and everyone else isnt is because i connect to the localhost not the DNS.
Excellent, you determined what type of cable you use. That doesn't tell you if you're behind a router so you'd be able to set the router up to allow Unreal to receive connections.

I've determined you are not qualified to run an IRCd. The fact that you are refusing to ask your dad tells me he probably won't like you running a server anyway.

GO LEARN MORE ABOUT BASIC NETWORKING OR ASK YOUR DAD!

I'm locking this thread. When you get a clue, please start a new one.
http://www.x-tab.org/~ircd/readme.htm