The sense of kicking in times of "rejoin after kick"

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

SNU

The sense of kicking in times of "rejoin after kick"

Post by SNU »

Hi.
This thread is supposed to talk about the sense of kicking in IRC-Channels in this times where most (m)IRC-clients have a rejoin-Feature enabled.
Does it still make sense to kick disturbing users out of a channel? The most Time now I'm used to use timed kickbans. for some minutes or hours for malicious users because the most that got kicked rejoin after that... And I hate it.
If I kick someone It has a cause and I won't have to come him back until he thought about his mistake. And it's F*cked up when his cliend rejoins him suddenly...
Do you agree? Do you think the ircds need a remake of the "kick" rfc ? :D Currently I think /kick does no more really make sense.
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: The sense of kicking in times of "rejoin after kick"

Post by Stealth »

U4 will have a module that will stop client rejoins. It is the m_kicknorejoin module, which adds channelmode +J which disallows rejoining for the specified number of seconds
Shining Phoenix

Post by Shining Phoenix »

Stealth wrote:U4 will have a module that will stop client rejoins. It is the m_kicknorejoin module, which adds channelmode +J which disallows rejoining for the specified number of seconds
You can use j for this task instead (but not as effective). e.g.
/mode #blah +j 1:900
12:33 * Joins: Bob
12:43 * Bob was kicked by Joe
12:48 * Joins: Bob

Disconnecting and then reconnecting evades j, and might evade J as well?
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

It might, maybe I'll test it sometime
SNU

Post by SNU »

Hmm. +j does not reall fit that. Because for e.g. +j 1:10 allows a "rejoin" after every 10 seconds. so if the user is 20 seconds idling, gets kicked, he can rejoin. You have to kick him again within that 10 seconds. So its not that solution but next to the function +J on U4 seems to be.

May it be possible to make the "+J-module" suitable for U3 ?
Shining Phoenix

Post by Shining Phoenix »

SNU wrote:Hmm. +j does not reall fit that. Because for e.g. +j 1:10 allows a "rejoin" after every 10 seconds. so if the user is 20 seconds idling, gets kicked, he can rejoin. You have to kick him again within that 10 seconds. So its not that solution but next to the function +J on U4 seems to be.
I said +j is not as effective as +J. +J is better for that purpose than +j, which is better than nothing.
SNU

Post by SNU »

yeah youre right :D we both said/meant the same.

but related to the topic: I would say, that kicking does not really make sense today. setting a timed kickban (some services or eggdrop-scripts do) is currently the same and obviously more effective method.
BigSmoke

Post by BigSmoke »

It's maybe an old threat, I still like to give my opinion, as a kick DO say: You're disbehaving stop that, or you will be banned.. so yes, clients maybe auto-rejoin after being kicked it still brings te message very clear to the user.. just as a kill does after auto-reconnecting.. So I see no point of removing KICK :)
http://www.fazconi.com
irc://irc.fazconi.com
Email: [email protected]
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Personally I skip the kick stage and just kick+ban instead, mainly because of the rejoin on kick issue. Kicking these days just doesn't have the same effect as it used to.
Your IP: Image
Your Country: Image