m_helpops

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
bubblez6000

m_helpops

Post by bubblez6000 »

I have made a module from another module m_ircops and was wondering because I want to make it a paid module but not that expensive since its not 100% my code if anyone could tell me how to put it here?

I have called it m_helpops for a reason... It finds users with umode +h but if that user has umode +o it will not list them
I use this module with an anope module that gives my helpops +h

Phantom is a Network Helper on mayhem.mt.us.PhantomIRC.net [is availble for Help]
[ST]Phantom is a Network Helper on mayhem.mt.us.PhantomIRC.net [is availble for Help]
[BD]Phantom is a Network Helper on mayhem.mt.us.PhantomIRC.net [is availble for Help]
I-love-me is a Network Helper on mayhem.mt.us.PhantomIRC.net [is availble for Help]
Total: 4 helpers online - 4 helpers and 0 Away
End of /HELPOPS list

Is the output

You can contact me for the module at irc.phantomirc.net or by email [email protected]
SpaceDoG

Re: m_helpops

Post by SpaceDoG »

If I'm not mistaken you can't sell that module because you used code from m_ircops and Syzop released his module under the GPL.
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

SpaceDoG wrote:If I'm not mistaken you can't sell that module because you used code from m_ircops and Syzop released his module under the GPL.
Technically speaking he could sell the effort he went to to modify the module instead.

Also, if im not mistaken there is already a free m_helpop module floating around anyway.
Your IP: Image
Your Country: Image
bubblez6000

Post by bubblez6000 »

If Syzop would like part of the proceeds for me using "most" of his code that would be alright all he would have to do is contact me and we could set up a deal on the proceeds and I know I have looked for this code around and personally I only want $5 for my effort as I have NEVER done a module or Even C before. As this module took me two weeks to recode and eventually I figured it out and I have never seen this module online anywhere for Unreal and I have looked at quite a few different places
Casper

Post by Casper »

Or you could give it away for free... I'm sure a lot of people would be happy with free stuff like this. ;)

And before you start selling your module, I would suggest you to learn C. For example: if I happen to find a bug, I'd like it when it gets repared and as you say yourself, you have just edited it and I guess on good luck. I don't say it's wrong, but if I pay money for a module, I'd like full support as well..
Ex Network-Administrator
bubblez6000

Post by bubblez6000 »

I know there is no login system via this module or any other that I have - That is in the plans however once I learn more C so that I can eventually make a login system of sorts however I know I am using it with an anope module on my network but if there was a bug in it I would definately take a look at it...
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Uhm... I think it's quite, what is a good term... silly.. hm understatement.., to take a GPL'd module from AngryWolf (slightly modified by me), add some functionality and then sell it on. Of course, if you'd make a module yourself from scratch that would be no problem. Legally, yeah you can sell almost anything, including free things like raindrops... But to answer your question: no.. we won't put such paid modules on our site.
I personally won't "attack" you, but I'm quite sure AngryWolf will not like what you are doing!

Also, note that with charging for things comes responsibility, so I wouldn't recommend selling modules if you are just a beginner at C.

Anyway, we currently don't accept any paid modules from non-unreal staff. The whole idea behind it (don't know if that info still shows, it was on the old site) is that we use it as a way to make some income/money out of unreal (you could call it sponsoring or encouraging an unreal coder) so that we don't have to take a full time job. For codemastr, it didn't really work out, it was so few income that he had to work (besides studying). For me, well... it did work to some extent, but not much income (certainly not enough to live on, but that's a silly intention anyway). 2007 is another story for me with all my wrist trouble, so I'm leaving that out, but 2005 & 2006 etc were good... people bought modules and requested custom coding, which in turn made me active on UnrealIRCd and due to the custom mods and requests etc several features and fixes made it into unreal (either directly, or indirectly).