Newbie Help in setting up Unreal IRCD.

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
businessgeeks

Newbie Help in setting up Unreal IRCD.

Post by businessgeeks »

Hi Newbie here in IRC servers in general.

We are trying to setup a website with an IRC chatroom but we want it to look like the chatroom is web based so we initially embedded PJIRC as the IRC client and programmed it to access the IRC server which is a different box.

My questions are:

1. Is there a way we can set the server to only accept connections from the PJIRC from the web server? and reject everything else?
2. We want to prevent anyone from changing their nicknames, is there a way to make this rule take affect upon login of the users?
i was thinkering with the set::mode-on-connect flag by adding a "N" there but im not sure if this is the correct way to do it.
3. We would like to make sure that any of our staff will be able to login as operator even though we are not the first ones to enter a channel.

i've been thinkerin' with my conf file and i cant seem to make it work. And i've been pulling my hair trying to understand our conf.

Help please!
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: Newbie Help in setting up Unreal IRCD.

Post by Stealth »

1) This has been discussed MANY times, and is not possible. It all comes down to someone will be able to figure out how the java identifies itself as being java and emulate it (I personally have made java emulation scripts to fool java-only servers). More information can be found here: http://forums.unrealircd.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1169
2) I have a module called NoNickChange, which denies nick changes to connected users. It can be downloaded at http://bitstuffer.net/m_nonickchange.tar.gz
3) Huh? If you want opers to be able to have +o on every channel, you'll need to consult the services you're using. *** NOTE *** such behavior is not welcomed by users, so we do not recommend such use.
businessgeeks

Post by businessgeeks »

Thanks for the quick reply.

A follow up question. we have tried setting ourselves as oper via the conf file and this works fine. but we would like to find out if there is a way for us as opers to take over a channel by becoming ops ourselves on entry.

sorry real newbie here/...
nate

Post by nate »

Personally at least within my own opinion, I can't think of any reasons you should have to 'take over' a channel, if you have a channel violating your policies that would require IRCop action, I think /chanserv DROP and /chanserv FORBID would prob be more suitable.

As stealth said, in general most people don't like networks and environments where IRCops immediately have channel status in their channel, by all means you really SHOULDN'T need it either, as if you really would need to override of any kind in the channel, there is the can_override flag for O:Line's in the IRCd configuration (which you should use only on people you really trust, as it can be abused) and most services have things such as for those listed as 'Opers' in the Services OperServ, OperServ has individual MODE and such commands that allow you to force a mode change/etc to a channel.
businessgeeks

Post by businessgeeks »

i see... regarding the URL:

http://www.unrealircd.com/files/docs/un ... annelmodes

How will i know if these modes can be added to the set::mode-on-connect flag?
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Only modes a normal non-oper'ed user can set using /mode <nick> <modes> can be set in modes-on-connect
Your IP: Image
Your Country: Image
businessgeeks

Post by businessgeeks »

Jobe1986 wrote:Only modes a normal non-oper'ed user can set using /mode <nick> <modes> can be set in modes-on-connect
Thanks for the insight. another question. is there a way to prevent a user creating a new channel from becoming a op in that newly created channel?
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

If you do not want users to be able to create channels on their own, you can get the module called onlyopersjoin

If you do not want users to be opped in newly created channels, you can get the module called joindeop