cloak key errors on linking ...

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
robc62

cloak key errors on linking ...

Post by robc62 »

Hi All,
I have 3 ircd's linked - but get the error 'Link irc.blahdeblah.co.uk has a DIFFERENT CLOAK KEY - MD5:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx != MD5:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. YOU SHOULD CORRECT THIS ASAP.'

I have checked the cloak keys written in the configs of each ircd and they are all identical.
I have also read the docs, FAQ's and searched here - I see it mentioned, but cannot find a definative answer to fix the problem.
TIA for any help.
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: cloak key errors on linking ...

Post by Stealth »

You need to be sure they are exactly the same, they are case-sensitive and need to be listed in the same order on both servers.
robc62

Post by robc62 »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I have checked and double checked - and also re-entered the cloak keys on each of the ircd configs - and they are identical in letters/numbers used and CaSe - even down to where I place them on the ircd config..
I even copied and pasted the original cloak key set to the other two ircd configs to discount 'human error' in writing 3 sets of long strings.
I have also made a totally new set and tried those as well.
I have rehashed and restarted each server and I am still getting the error, no matter what way I enter the keys.
Round and round we go ... lol
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

When you changed them, did you restart the IRCd?
Your IP: Image
Your Country: Image
robc62

Post by robc62 »

I have rehashed and restarted each server and I am still getting the error, no matter what way I enter the keys.
Erm .. yes.
nate

Post by nate »

how about posting us both sets of keys then?
robc62

FIXED: cloak key errors on linking ...

Post by robc62 »

Erm .. paste the keys here?
Also cloak keys should be kept SECRET because it's possible to decode the original host if you know the keys (which makes umode +x useless).
... from UnrealIRCd - 3.2 - Official Documentation ... so I think perhaps not.

Please believe me - they were and are still are all identical.

However, for some unexplicable reason, the cloak key error has vanished overnight! I have changed nothing in the configs, just totally stopped each ircd and restarted them. Again! The only thing I can think of is there has been a problem with the ircd configs saving after editing or some strange error on restarting the ircd's.

Now it will truly annoy me - as I did not find out how this happened and will learn nothing! :cry:

Anyways, many thanks for your help people :D