Couldn't resolve your hostname; using your IP address instea

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Joe2209

Couldn't resolve your hostname; using your IP address instea

Post by Joe2209 »

Hi,

When I first setup my IRC server like 5 months ago, I never had this problem. Everyone had a normal hostname include myself, but the last month or two, everyone's hostname has been looking something along the lines like this: A34F34.123R24EF.24G3G.2E4F43, etc.

I'm not a pro with IRC, I to this day still get puzzled when trying to restart the server, so I don't know much of anything but I do know that this must be a server-side problem as EVERYONE's host looks like this, and this is also screwing up some of my mIRC bots on the network because they cannot give people correct permissions as they're supposed to because everyone's hostnames keep changing.

Can someone tell me how I can get the server back to normal, where everyone actually has a real hostname?
Joe2209

Re: Couldn't resolve your hostname; using your IP address instea

Post by Joe2209 »

Might I also add that I had to make the oper block for myself set to a '*@*' access hostname because my hostname is always changing and the server doesn't recognize me. I would like to add some extra protection there so only I can oper up and not someone who may've retrieved my password somehow.
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Your host name issue above looks like your DNS configuration is a lil screwed.

As for making your oper block more secure, the most you can do without using decent host masks is http://forums.unrealircd.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4181
Your IP: Image
Your Country: Image
Joe2209

Post by Joe2209 »

Any idea how to fix it? :/
Joe2209

Post by Joe2209 »

I talked to my host, here are some things they suggested:

- Add DNS server or resolver to unrealircd.conf
- Check to see if there are DNS timeout values. If so, increase them.

I tried searching for both of these in the config, but I don't see any relevant blocks. I told my host this, and their last reply was to try the support channel on the UnrealIRCd network, however the last time I tried there for help, I was told I'm "shit outta luck". Great customer service, don't you agree?
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

See the DNS settings in your set blocks.
Joe2209

Post by Joe2209 »

There are no DNS settings currently present by default. I added some, but it doesn't appear to be helping any.

Code: Select all

set {
  <bunch of other stuff here>
  dns {
    timeout 5s;
    retries 4;
    nameserver 64.18.134.2;
  };
};
nate

Post by nate »

This is why reading the documentation is exceptionally a good idea.

The set::dns features are no longer implemented at this time.

UnrealIRCd uses the Operating system's resolver, so basically it comes back to it being your host again, or in the event you're on a VM/VPS/Dedi, the configuration of your box directly in its resolution settings (*nix uses /etc/resolv.conf and Windows is assigned within the network adapter of the connection, unless there is an external connection such as a router/modem in where its assigned there)

And I don't recall anyone in a good while telling anyone shit out of luck on such an issue in our support channel anytime in the past long while : P
Joe2209

Post by Joe2209 »

My mIRC log files contain colors codes, making it a bit hard to read, but I hope this backs me up on what I said:

So, can someone tell me how to fix it? I don't know much about DNS or even much about networks, only the basics. There must be some way of fixing this issue.
Joe2209

Post by Joe2209 »

Well honestly I don't expect an immediate answer as Unreal isn't actually paid software. If it were, you people would jump at helping people. I really don't mean to sound rude, but it's the fact that I've been having this problem for like 3 weeks now, and I've been asking around trying to get this problem fixed but it seems I hit a dead end every time. Not to mention some of the devs tell me I'm "shit outta luck" (yes, it's true, look in my previous post for the log)...

Even though this isn't paid software, friendship, trust, reliability, referrals, and positive reviews all rely on support. It seems Unreal is absurdly failing to give support, so in the long run, it's possible they will perhaps fail with future development. Afterall, you really shouldn't be developing a product if you cannot support it. Just my two cents...
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

The sollution to this is your host setting up their box PROPERLY instead of pushing all the blame onto you.
Joe2209

Post by Joe2209 »

Jobe1986 wrote:The sollution to this is your host setting up their box PROPERLY instead of pushing all the blame onto you.

Possibly, although one of the techs at my host says he himself has his own server hosted on the same box and doesn't have any DNS problems. So the problem must be within my config.
Casper

Post by Casper »

Joe2209 wrote:Possibly, although one of the techs at my host says he himself has his own server hosted on the same box and doesn't have any DNS problems. So the problem must be within my config.
nate wrote:UnrealIRCd uses the Operating system's resolver, so basically it comes back to it being your host again, or in the event you're on a VM/VPS/Dedi, the configuration of your box directly in its resolution settings (*nix uses /etc/resolv.conf and Windows is assigned within the network adapter of the connection, unless there is an external connection such as a router/modem in where its assigned there)
Nate knows perfectly fine what he's saying to you. If he says UnrealIRCd uses the OS's resolver, it is that way. If it doesn't work, it just can't be on Unreal's side and therefore there's nothing that can be done by UnrealIRCd to do something about your problem.
Ex Network-Administrator