What would be a good opermotd?

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

Ghost4126

What would be a good opermotd?

Post by Ghost4126 »

I was recently writing the motd and rules files for a server, and i was thinking "I know unreal supports an opermotd, so i think i should make one". But what should I put in it? Unreal Commands? Snomasks? Current Opers? Anyone have some suggestions?
AngryWolf

Post by AngryWolf »

Some examples:
  • The most important: a link to the Security tips/checklist to educate your opers about security
  • A link to the online version of unreal32docs.html
  • Links to other web pages containing information for opers only
  • A list of opers describing what their jobs are (in short)
  • Other useful information only for opers (if you have)
Also consider using the OperNews feature of Services (if you have such a feature) for showing temporary information. This is also good for your opers who don't have access to oper.motd.

Putting snomasks and commands here wouldn't be a good idea. But telling your opers that they can use /helpop for information is okay.

Simply listing the names of opers perhaps should go to the MOTD (instead of OperMOTD).
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

I usually used it for oper rules. Yes, the opers should know the rules, but putting them in front of their face everytime they /oper leaves them with *no* excuses when they break the rules.
-- codemastr
w00t

Post by w00t »

Good point. We dont have an opermotd, nor really a motd. Instead we have a policy document currently evolving, that covers EVERYONE from administrators to users in seperate classes.
-ChatSpike IRC Network [http://www.chatspike.net]
-Denora Stats [http://denora.nomadirc.net]
-Omerta [http://www.barafranca.com]
Ghost4126

Post by Ghost4126 »

Ok, thanks for the replies. Those are some good ideas, although does anyone have a good list of oper rules. I have some generic ones in mind but more strict rules would help. Now this is kind of off topic from my original reason for posting this, but what about a BOTMOTD, i've never really been able to see a purpose for this, although i'm sure there is.
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

Well oper rules are really specific to the network. The rules for the opers depend on the rules of your network.

As for a botmotd, the idea of that is the rules for bots. For example, maybe your server only allows certain kinds of bots. Like most servers disallow "war" bots. You may also have a limit on the number of bots from a single IP. Like maybe you allow 3 clients per IP, but only 1 of them may be a bot. Perhaps your network requires all bots to be +B, which could also be mentioned. Maybe it also requires you to notify the admin of bots, etc. Anything that a bot owner would need to know would be included in the botmotd.
-- codemastr