Bugtracker Cleanup and C++ Coders Wanted

News about the UnrealIRCd project, including release announcements
Stealth
Head of Support

Bugtracker Cleanup and C++ Coders Wanted

Post by Stealth »

I am asking for everyone's help in cleaning out the bug tracker. Currently our bugtracker has plenty issues still open (301) for the current version of Unreal. Unfortunately most of the open issues are old and no longer apply to the current workings of Unreal 3.2. Some of the issues are features or tweaks wanted by the community. If you see an issue that is no longer relevant to the current version, is a problem that has been solved in the past, duplicate issues, or something that just shouldn't be there, add a note to it so we can close or resolve the issue.

If you're a C coder, you can help by making patches for the current problems in the bug tracker. Patches should be made from 3.2.8.1, or preferably from the nightly CVS snapshots downloadable from Syzop's site.

We are also looking for C++ coders to help get the next major version of Unreal off the ground and into active development. We will be doing a recode from the ground-up starting with a core that has no more than the basics of IRC (i.e. the stuff in RFC-1459). If you want to give us a hand in getting the next version going, swing by #Unreal-Devel on irc.unrealircd.com to find out more info!

-- Stealth
katsklaw

Re: Bugtracker Cleanup and C++ Coders Wanted

Post by katsklaw »

what about QA's? and good luck with RFC conflicts when coding modern features :) ie PRIVMSG violations for secures services communications.
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

We won't be needing much with QA until Syzop is almost ready to release 3.2.9.

Naturally the core of the new version will be RFC1459 with the modern IRCd improvements :P
eckstasy

Post by eckstasy »

Why the hell is everyone changing everything to C++?
Did w00t put you lot up to this? It happened to Anope and now this.

I guess I'll be using 3.2.8.1 forever. IRC has just crumbled up now, Developers think C++ is "1337"
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

eckstasy wrote:Why the hell is everyone changing everything to C++?
Did w00t put you lot up to this? It happened to Anope and now this.
w00t did not put anyone up to anything. Unreal has been planning on changing codebase for years now.

C++ is faster (in my opinion), cleaner, and an object oriented language is much nicer when it comes to coding modules. The Unreal codebase has been hacked to hell and back to support multi-platform modules and newer features would be much easier and cleaner to implement in C++ than they would as C modules. People often tell me that C can do anything C++ can, but will also admit that it's not very clean.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

Any project can be botched in any language. C++ can be much cleaner. I've seen case studies where it took 85 lines of C code to do what 15 lines of C++ did and both example were written by the same person so coding style was consistent. As far as being faster, that's actually hard to prove or disprove. Case in point is the same above example, the C code out performed the C++ code in bench testing and in other examples C++ would win. From what I've seen neither have a huge advantage over the other as with all things, they both have pros and cons.

What I find surprising is that someone would rather have a 12 year old butchered codebase rather than a fresh, new framework.
Skizzerz

Post by Skizzerz »

Quick random question: Why RFC 1459 and not the updated version contained in RFC 2810-2813? I know that the newer versions implement some features (such as channel modes) that conflict with existing modes (+O, +a, and +q, to name a few), but surely we can just skip those sections :)
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

All clients understand 1459 and a few basic improvements by default. Anything added in newer IRC RFCs may be added by module. The object is to get the most basic core made, and then build onto it using modules. This will make it so people can pick and choose which features they would like their servers to have or not have.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

Additionally RFC1459 is the *only* official RFC for IRC. 28xx is not even a standard, very few nets actually use it and if you read the top of any 28xx RFC request it even tells you that.

From RFC 2810: Internet Relay Chat: Architecture
Status of this Memo

This memo provides information for the Internet community. It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.
Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

katsklaw wrote:From RFC 2810: Internet Relay Chat: Architecture
Status of this Memo

This memo provides information for the Internet community. It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.
Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.
In addition to that, until RFC1459 comes out of "experimental" status, it's hard for any other RFC to replace it or superceed it properly.
Surajd

Post by Surajd »

Well, my friend told me that someone was needing some C++ coders, I actually have taken this course in college, and pretty much aced the class. I could help you guys out if Needed. I've coded C++ for about 3 years now. I was programming the language when I was 16. So, I think i know the fundamentals ;).

Just let me know.
ohnobinki
UnrealIRCd coder

Post by ohnobinki »

Surajd wrote:Just let me know.
Please check out irc://irc.unrealircd.org/unreal4-devel , http://dev.unrealircd.org/unreal4:dev , and http://u4.unrealircd.org/hg/unrealircd4/file/tip/TODO . We definitely need help if unrealircd4 is to get anywhere.

Start with

Code: Select all

hg clone http://u4.unrealircd.org/hg/unrealircd4