add domain

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
TheMenaCe

add domain

Post by TheMenaCe »

Hello there. I have recently started my IRC server and its working fine on unreal 3.2 All i want now is for users to be able to connect via the server domain name rather than the ip. I have bought a domain name.

For example i want users to be able to connect from /s irc.mydomain.com rather than having to use /s 54.165.98.87

Anyone can help me with that? thanks so much!
Jobe
Official supporter

Re: add domain

Post by Jobe »

If you have bought a domain name then you simply need to use some form of DNS hosting (some registrars like namecheap provide this for you) then you need to add a "host" or "A" record for "irc" or "irc.yourdomain.com." with the IP address of your server.
Your IP: Image
Your Country: Image
TheMenaCe

Post by TheMenaCe »

Sorry , but because i am total noob i kinda need some more than that!
I have my domain and i can manage it via my providers. But what sort of settings do i have to do in my server so that it recognizes my domain? like add some lines in unrealircd.conf or something ? plz help...!!!
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

It is likely your domain registrar has a DNS service you can set up. The best thing to do would be to contact their support and ask about creating DNS records to point at your server.

I tell you to contact your registrar because every registrar is different, and depending on your set up or domain options through your registrar might be different than others.