Bots joining channels on connect problem

Talk about pretty much anything here, but DO NOT USE FOR SUPPORT.

Moderator: Supporters

Callum_UK

Bots joining channels on connect problem

Post by Callum_UK »

I have an echo bot on my network, which outputs in-game stuff. Also, my friend who uses the network has a bot which responds to a group of commands. Both of our bots can't join channels on connect unlike all other networks. He resolved his issue with a timer, but that's not what I want. Is there some default anope/unreal variable that is causing this?
Join us at [url=irc://irc.sanlrpg.net/]irc.sanlrpg.net[/url]
katsklaw

Re: Bots joining channels on connect problem

Post by katsklaw »

No, you need to script your bot to do the joins. If you are using Eggdrop, in the config file there should be a server init directive, in it put putquick "JOIN #channel" if it's mIRC use on *:connect:*: join #channel or use the built in perform function in the options menu. Any other client you'll need to read the help file.
Callum_UK

Post by Callum_UK »

My bot is using a web-based IRC applet called PJIRC.
Callum_UK

Post by Callum_UK »

(Sorry for double-post); I would like to resolve the issue though, not setup a timer. Because future IRC users will encounter the same issue, which isn't very good.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

PJIRC is a web based client for users, it's not a bot.
Callum_UK

Post by Callum_UK »

Yes, but the bot uses it to send information onto a channel from a game server (using lua).
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

Then I suggest you contact the script/bot author on how to make it auto-join.
Callum_UK

Post by Callum_UK »

I don't think you're understanding me. The script/bot is fine, it works on various other networks. It's just mine. I know of another bot (not my own) which has trouble joining channels instantly on connect. This is a major problem for any scripts/bots. How would I look into resolving it?
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

Well it's not a problem with Unreal IRCd either unless you have altered the source code. There is no other reason for it to work on other unreal ircd networks and not yours unless you changed something. I've run Unreal for years both custom coded versions as well as stock Unreal and never have had any problems with bots/users/scripts/webapps etc automatically joining channels when they were properly instructed to do so.

As far as resolving it, you haven't shared nearly enough information to even start. Lets have all the information like where you got the bot/script, what version is it, version of your unreal ircd software, have you changed anything ... etc.
Callum_UK

Post by Callum_UK »

No, I've not edited the source code (only config). And Batrick (owner of lua "BatBot") quoted this to me earlier while trying to add BatBot to the network;
<batrick> every irc server has its quirks (which is really annoying)
<batrick> in this case
<batrick> it sends an alphanumeric rather than numeric ping echo request
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

That still doesn't help me give you more details, where might I get this bot?
Callum_UK

Post by Callum_UK »

This requires a Multi Theft Auto server to run, and is scripted in lua (based on the PJIRC web client). If you look in settings.xml it connects fine to both GTANet and SANLNet, but on SANLNet it can't join the channel. And a friend of mine who made a (closed source) bot has the same issue on my network. So did batrick, as said in a post above.

Scripts: http://sanlrpg.net/IRC-Bot.zip
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

well the syntax on all IRC networks regardless of ircd software is: JOIN #Channel,#Channel2 key,key2. That is dictated by RFC1459 and all clients are to use that. If you are having problems PING, then you have bigger issues than joining channels. I'll look at the src as soon as I have some free time in the next day or so.

thanks
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Callum_UK wrote:No, I've not edited the source code (only config). And Batrick (owner of lua "BatBot") quoted this to me earlier while trying to add BatBot to the network;
<batrick> every irc server has its quirks (which is really annoying)
<batrick> in this case
<batrick> it sends an alphanumeric rather than numeric ping echo request
To be totally honest, if alphanumeric PING tokens are a problem for the bot, then the bot is processing the PING token in a way it should NOT be. The PING token should ALWAYS be treated as a string, never anything else. And for that reason, if that is a problem for the bot, then that is a bug in my honest opinion.
Your IP: Image
Your Country: Image