Trouble with accents: UTF-8 against ISO-8859

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Averell

Trouble with accents: UTF-8 against ISO-8859

Post by Averell »

Hello everybody,

We have been experiencing trouble which prevent anyone to make /whois or any command invoking nicknames containing accents. For a while , we set up our unrealircd.conf file with these lines:

set { allowed-nickchars { latin1;}; };

which allow some persons having nicknames containing accents and using an "old" mirc version (all of the ones which worked under iso-8859-1), to login on our irc server . Yet, any command performed with the last release of mirc, the one which manages UTF-8, could not be interpreted by the server. With such a release, it seems now neither possible to login with a nickname containing accents, nor possible to get any information on a nickname containing accents which could have been connected to the server (via the "old" mirc version). Is that a way to cure this problem, unless I have to simply set it up on mirc (but I don't know how)?

Thanks in advance for your answer,

PC
Averell

Re: Trouble with accents: UTF-8 against ISO-8859

Post by Averell »

Sorry when I said :

"any command performed with the last release of mirc could not be interpreted ... blah ...."

I meant

"any command invoking nicknames having accents performed ... blah ... could not be interpreted ...".

PC